Adding Wifi or Ethernet to Arduino MKR GSM 1400?

I'm new to Arduino and looking to buy the MKR GSM 1400 to be able to receive SMSs sent to my second SIM (if only dual-SIM phones were more common).

When an SMS is received, I then need to send a POST request to IFTTT with the contents of the SMS.

Challenge: that SIM card doesn't have a data plan, so to connect to the internet I'll either need a Wifi connection or an Ethernet connection. I'm having a surprisingly difficult time finding out if the MKR GSM 1400 can work with either though.

I noticed that the GSM Antenna ANTA2000A0200BR11 supports both GSM/GPRS and 2.4/5.8GHz networks. Could I use that antenna to simultaneously receive SMSs + be connected to 2.4GHz Wifi?

Alternatively, would it be easier if I get the MKR Wifi 1010 instead and connect it to an Adafruit FONA - Mini Cellular GSM?

I can tell you that you can plug a MKR ETH shield into the MKR GSM 1400 and get connected to the network with no problems. You should be able to do the same with an W5x00 Ethernet module if you prefer that to the shield.

If you prefer WiFi to Ethernet, I'm sure you could connect an ESP8266 module to the MKR GSM 1400 via the serial port and control it using AT commands, but I have not tried that.

I have no clue about sharing the antenna.

Ok perfect, thank you pert! :slight_smile:

I'll give the ESP8266 a shot as an experiment, and also get the ETH shield as plan B.

Hello BytingBeaver ,
did you succeed to use esp8266 with arduino mkr1400 ?
if yes could you please share your code with me ?

thank