Analog Output Expansion for 16 LED's

I am starting on a new project, It will have 16 LED's turned on and off at different intervals, I want to have the brightness of the LED's come on to imitate a regular incandescent bulb or a rotating beacon,

I did an earlier project and if I reuse the code the scan time will be around 1 ms - so for guidance and allowing for my bad memory, lets say 2 ms

I want to update the brightness level of the LED's every 10 ms - that should give me the proper "feel"

I think I have the code mostly figured out (outlined in plain English) for the two interlocking timers / counters (one at 10 ms for level control and one at 100 ms to determine if the particular LED should be on or off)

The Question: I have found the two boards below as options for controlling the analog levels, what is the advantage / disadvantage of using one board over the other. I also don't know about the time to communicate with the different boards, I have found general speed or ease for each different board references but no specific time allowance numbers

There will be not much else going on in the program other than blinking the LED's

Thanks much for any help

Adafruit 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Servo Driver - I2C interface - PCA9685

SparkFun LED Driver Breakout - TLC5940 (16 Channel)

I would go with the Adafruit board, it is the simplest to use and is a set and forget. The spark fun one needs constant feeding with pulses.

Thanks much for the help - the set and forget option sounds nice