Analog voltmeter vs ampmeter

Hi,

For a new project i need some analog meters like https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10285 but wat would be easier to implement (1mA) ammeters or (5V) voltmeters?

Thanks,

Peter

but wat would be easier to implement

What do you mean?
What has this got to do with Arduino?

AWOL:
What do you mean?
What has this got to do with Arduino?

It has been pointed out to me before that the "General Electronics " category does not require a connection with Arduino. I didn't see you come to my defence saying otherwise. :smiley:

I am certainly curious about his intent - and Sparkfun's server is apparently down just at this moment. Will adjust this post when (and if) it recovers.

I think the question meant "which is easier to use as an Arduino output device",
to which the answer is "0--5V voltmeter" via PWM. Easier means not having to
provide your own series resistor.

Its "ammeter" not "ampmeter", but its colloquial really.

It wasn't that I was querying the post's presence in "General Electronics", just wondering why the OP hadn't asked Sparkfun.

It depends on what you want to measure and how much work you want to do, you mentioned neither in your enquiry.
All meters are ammeters (it's the current in the coil that causes meter deflection).
The voltmeter will already have a series resistor built into it such that it takes 5 volts to cause full scale deflection.
The 1mA ammeter is the best option if you want to measure current flow as its self-resistance will be relatively low and hence have minimal effect on circuit current flow.
If you wish to measure more than 1mA using the current meter you will need a suitable shunt resistor and if you wish to measure voltage using the same meter you will need a suitable series resistor.

Indeed, i meant it as an output device for the Arduino Uno.
Thanks, going for the voltmeter...

Peter

peterv3210:
Indeed, i meant it as an output device for the Arduino Uno.
Thanks, going for the voltmeter...

Peter

Probably the best choice of the two. You should be able to wire it directly between ground and a PWM output pin and drive the meter via analogWrite commands.

Lefty

OK, Sparkfun site back on line now.

Other than the scale - in which case the 5V one might suit you better, there is no difference between a 1 mA meter and the 5V meter which is already a 1 mA meter with a series resistor (5k less the meter resistance). The 1 mA meter might give you more flexibility in using your own chosen resistor, and the zero to one scale might suit you also.