Another Arduino IR for air conditioner

Hello,

So i was able to decode my remote signal and send it. My problem is that there is the same code for ON and OFF. So if i send the same code with a delay of 5000ms it will just turn on and off the air conditioner.

My problem is that i want to control the AC remotely (from another location) so whenever i press ON or OFF i will never know if i turned it off or on for sure.

To be serious, i can implement variables to keep the current state of the AC but i will never trust the code to truly know the state of my AC.

Any idea on how to resolve this? To know the current state of the AC?

I was thinking adding a wireless outlet and report the power usage but its not so elegant.

PS: My AC is Whirlpool.

Get an AC controller with different codes for ON and OFF. Eventuallly hack the buttons for direct manual control and attach the controller there. Otherwise you definitely need some feedback, as you found out yourself already.

DrDiettrich:
Get an AC controller with different codes for ON and OFF. Eventuallly hack the buttons for direct manual control and attach the controller there. Otherwise you definitely need some feedback, as you found out yourself already.

On the remote is same button for ON and OFF so hacking probably will end in the same result.

If you press and hold the on/off button on the remote does it switch the Ac on and off repeatedly.
Or does it just change it to the opposite state until you press it again?
If it only does it once then your code on the Ardiuno is sending the on/off code repeatedly and not just once . In a loop for a set time.
You could also add a temp sensor or air flow sensor so Arduino can test if ac is on and working. Could also set it to turn on ac automatically at a set temperature.

suttle0577:
If you press and hold the on/off button on the remote does it switch the Ac on and off repeatedly.

Yes, if i press 5 times fast it will be on.

suttle0577:
Could also set it to turn on ac automatically at a set temperature.

This sounds like an amazing idea. Probably will require a lot of work to work with the Timer off and Timer on but it should work. Thanks!

I mean if you press and hold the on button does it just switch the AC on or will it turn on and off.

suttle0577:
I mean if you press and hold the on button does it just switch the AC on or will it turn on and off.

Ah sorry. If i press and hold nothing happens until i release. The signal is released on release.

But the programming thing works. The challenge is to keep the clock synced. I mean i have two sets of codes:
Timer ON, Current time 00:01, Timer on time: 00:02 - After one minutes turns on (if its off)
Timer OFF, Current time 00:01, Timer OFF time: 00:02 - After one minutes turns off (if its on)

This is pretty safe to use. Because if its not on it will not program it and viceversa.

But the question is if i want to sync the clock :slight_smile: I mean if i use the remote manually it will sync the clock. If not, its not showing the clock anywhere. So it does not matter.

Anyway, good job again of giving me this solution.