Arduino and STM32F103

hi

i have looking for hardware to make micro quadcopter and find something like this on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-Quadcopter-Flight-Driver-Controller-9DOF-9-Axis-Altitude-Sensr-STM32F103-/360960702905?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item540aef39b9

it have on board every thing i need for my copter just i’m not sure it will be compatible with arduino ??
can some one help me with this board ??

Um, see this (extensive) thread: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=265904 "Maple" was an attempt at a STM32F103-based Arduino compatible, that didn't quite make it, but the low-priced F103 boards from China have resulted in renewed interest, and recent efforts are looking promising...

I took a look at the schematic and Serial 1 is routed to an connector on the so it may be possible to upload via USB to Serial, but I can't see how Boot0 can be pulled high , I suspect that their is either a jump link or switch etc on the board somewhere but I couldn't quite work out where it was on the schematic

westfw:
Um, see this (extensive) thread: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=265904
“Maple” was an attempt at a STM32F103-based Arduino compatible, that didn’t quite make it, but the low-priced F103 boards from China have resulted in renewed interest, and recent efforts are looking promising…

westfw:
From my reading on the Leaflabs site, the Maple effort was an internal project with the primary purpose to support their own customers base. A spinoff was the publication of the open source hardware and software and Arduino morphed GUI. As Leaflabs is still in business and rogerClark has indicated that the core library is still being maintained, I am having a difficult time viewing the Leaflabs,’ effort as anything but positive. They never intended to compete with Arduino, they just designed a few processor boards that used the Arduino metaphor and wrote a core and supporting libraries for their own needs. And all of this occurred back when Arduino GUI was sub-1.0 and all Arduinoes were 8-bit. All of this from 4Q2010.

As rogerClark works through the Arduino 1.5.8 issues, I have also looked at the original Maple GUI and core/library and it appears sound. As this was never intended to work with Arduino libraries, I personally think the effort is impressive… Far ahead of their time in an Arduino snapshot. For whatever reason, their business model has just not advanced this technology.

My own opinion, which I offer without any support, is that Leaflabs considered an independent sideline business with their Maple spinoff then dropped it when initial sales caused increased web support on their forums. Some smart employee extrapolated the few dollar$ earned by hardware and compared that to the cost$ of forum support and decided the business model would not fly. If all the Arduino Moderators were fully paid an industry salary, the Arduino model may have failed in the early days!

Ray

@ Mr. Burnette... +1..

Doc

I don't know where that history of LeafLabs came from, but it seems quite "creative", or lacks "truthiness" as some might say :)

LeafLabs were created to market and sell Maple Arduino-like boards, I don't believe it was a spin-off of anything. They have since moved on to other things, and of course the marketing blurb doesn't make it sound like their first product failed to take off, but that's essentially what happened. I think the problem was it just didn't sell, although you are probably right that these things require a lot of user support, and that is expensive if you can't attract a set of dedicated volunteers to do it for free like Arduino managed.

There may be commits to their repo, those are not necessarily even made by current employees. AFAIK LeafLabs are no longer doing any official work on Maple, although I guess "spare time" is excluded.

The Maple boards have some good features (as well as unique problems), but the bottom line is that users want seamless compatibility with AVR architecture which is difficult to achieve without a lot of effort.

bobcousins:
I don’t know where that history of LeafLabs came from, but it seems quite “creative”, or lacks “truthiness” as some might say :slight_smile:
<…>

Ouch!
re: (Click Services & note Pix of bigass board with Maple Mini - also attached!)

LeafLabs provides contract engineering and consulting services to businesses, startups, academic groups, and institutions. Our skill set spans a “full stack” of digital electronics. Our preferred approach is to integrate proven and familiar open source hardware components, firmware, and host software (much of our own design) to deliver both small volume and production-ready designs.

re: About Leaflabs

The Maple, an Arduino-style STM32 microcontroller board, was LeafLab’s first product, released in 2009. It was one of the first ARM Cortex-M3 microcontroller boards that was accessible to hobbyists and engineers outside of the embedded industry. The design was modeled on the Arduino boards…

Now, the Maple Board appears to me to be a Chicken-Egg problem… did Leaflabs incorporate to only build Arduino compatibles (which were never compatible other than some common pinouts on a few shields) or did they build the Maple as a sideline because they were considering using STM32F1xx in customer products? I do not know. Clearly, they have moved on:

As of 2014, the Maple board is still available from distributors, but no future hardware revisions are planned and the IDE will not be ported to newer operating systems.

Public Profile:
Leaflabs LLC produces physical computing devices for control and communication among smart machines. The firm offers a variety of products and services, including data acquisition systems, microcontroller boards, and others. The firm has expertise is in digital signal handling and fast real-time data processing for neurobiology experiments, and provides contract engineering and consulting services to businesses, startups, academic groups, and institutions.

So, I invite the reader to About Leaflabs

LeafLabs was founded in 2009 on the premise that science should not just be confined to expensive labs filled with shiny equipment, but also found on cluttered workbenches in musty basements everywhere. We are dedicated to making the latest in computer science and electrical engineering accessible to all engineers, regardless of budget or specialized training.

The statement sounds a lots different than a company founded only on building a clone Arduino. Maybe the idea of the Maple was the impetus for founding Leaflabs, but it surely does seem that they had other bigger ideas. The Maple clearly is stated as the first commercial product, but there is scarce details on earlier history and business. What I think is clear is that there is no single statement that says Leaflabs was incorporated to design and market Maple. Rather, the scope is broader.

Other than the quotes, everything else is just my conjecture and opinion. Simple as that.

Ray

MiniOnBoard.jpg

FYI.

I have tried emailing the person "Marti" who is updating the repo, but I've not had a reply since I directly posted an issue on his github repo.

i.e there is an email address listed, but I'm not sure if anyone reads it.

I also emailed both the other contributors to the libmaple changes, about a week ago, but neither of them have replied to me.

Looking at the changes in github. They are all being "signed off" my Marti, on behalf of LeadfLabs, but the changes seem mostly focused on supporting the STM32F4 line of processors, with one or two other minor bug fixes and a changed to remove compiler warnings.

Looking at the code, its obvious that LeafLabs put a lot of effort into writing the code, and that the developers knew their stuff.

However where I feel that they went wrong was to assume that people would be willing make a lot of modifications to existing code in order for it to work with their product.

I know I've mentioned this before, but I feel that the decision to call Serial USBSerial was pointless.

As far as the end user is concerned it works like Serial, so why not call it Serial

Also calling SPI HardwareSPI and forcing people to instantiate that class themselves, seems another strange move.

BTW. I've rectified those two "issues" in my version, but there are other issues

analogRead() requires you to pre-configure the pin to be ANALOG_INPUT , which again would cause issues, and could have been addressed behind the scenes in the code. This is something I think I'll need to look at

They also appeared to call analogWrite pwmWrite and the #defined analogWrite to pwmWrite, I've no idea why they did this

I suspect that if they had spent more time on compatibility with the current version of the Arduino API (at the time it was 0022 or 0023), and also had SPI and Wire working as libraries, and also provided a bit of support, that perhaps they'd have sold more.

So to me this looks like a management / marketing fail rather than a technical fail.

Of course, now... the price point of nearly $40 looks far too high, but 2 years ago, I'm sure people would have paid $40 for a 72Mhz device when there wasn't anything else like it on the market.

The old leaflabs/maple stuff is in the Arduino Forum archives. They certainly looked like they were trying to sell/market the maple platform at the time, although I don't have any problems believing that they were hoping it be a "moneymaker" to support broader development along the lines that they've followed since. Stranger things have happened (cisco Systems was supposedly originally founded to sell ethernet interfaces for DECSystem-20 computers...)

In any case, I find the Leaflabs/Maple story to be an execellant example of how an open-source hardware project should work, if it doesn't become a big commercial success. While they're no longer selling boards, the hardware design and software are still available, and in addition there's that whole "design philosophy" discussion covering various aspects of the board's development...