Arduino CLI VS IDE bin file

Hi!

I have recently installed Arduino CLI and compiled my software. The sketches compiles and i can flash the .bin file as expected. The program seems to run aswell.

But.. When i compare the bin file from Arduino IDE VS Arduino CLI they are not equal.
It seems like both compilers are using all the same libraries used in the project.

Does CLI and IDE uses the same Arduino installation folder for board manager and libraries. Or can that differ ?

Board: Arduino DUE
Arduino CLI version:0.6.3
Arduino IDE version: 1.8.5

sebb898:
Does CLI and IDE uses the same Arduino installation folder for board manager and libraries. Or can that differ ?

It can differ. With arduino-cli, you can set the location where Boards Manager installations are stored via the arduino_data field in your arduino-cli.yaml file. You can set the sketchbook folder via the sketchbook_path field in your arduino-cli.yaml file (libraries are installed to the libraries subfolder of the sketchbook folder).

With the Arduino IDE, you can set your sketchbook folder location via File > Preferences > Sketchbook Location. You don't get as much control over the folder where Boards Manager installations are stored. If you run the Arduino IDE in portable mode, then the Boards Manager installations are stored under the portable folder, otherwise they will be stored in the standard location.

Thanks for the answer.

i cannot fint the arduino-cli.yaml file. Do i need to create one ?

Edit: i created the file with arduinocli config init command

I'm glad you found an answer to your question about arduino-cli.yaml. I think the documentation of arduino-cli might have some room for improvement. The command line help is pretty nice, but I think there is some additional information that doesn't fit well into the context of the command line help that could be more thoroughly documented.