I have noticed on the forum that someone else has tried to hack into a paper shredder, but his post had no reply, I hope this will have better luck.
I am trying to control a paper shredder from Arduino, basically I only need it to go ‘on’ and ‘off’ at specific times.
Whereas this should be an easy hack indeed, it is my first time trying to play with an external device.
Please see the attached photos: the model is pretty basic and comprised of:
- a DC motor
- a PC board connected to:
– an external button that allows the user to choose between (automatic, only plays when a sheet of paper is inserted in the throat; FFWD, which starts the credit card cruncher; REV which inverts the direction of the motor and hence of the blades)
– a microswitch which is activated by a tab whenever a sheet of paper is placed in the throat of the shredder.
- a cable that goes to mains.
I am not interested in controlling the credit card shredder, but only the blades which shred the paper.
At the moment I can see a few options to do that:
- Connect a solenoid which triggers the microswitch (probably not an elegant solution, but could work)
- Connect the DC motor to the Arduino, bypassing the PC board (should I contemplate using a transistor in this case?
- Bypass the microswitch and connect the Arduino to the PC Board where the switch is connected to, but how would I do this exactly I still need to find out.
On the back of the shredder it reads:
50Hz 0.7A 180W
1 min on/40 min off
Many thanks in advance for your help.