Arduino connecting any printer to the internet

Hey Arduinions,
I have a question, is it possible to connect a printer to the internet with the help of the following parts:

1. arduino
  2. ethernet shield
  3. router with ethernet as well as wifi connection system
    The aim of the project is to print stuff from a computer which is not connected to the printer directly but is connected through the internet with the help of an arduino

If you know anything about this then please let me know
Thank you

What is the printer going to be connected to? Surely you don't think you can connect the printer to the Arduino.

In a usb , there are 4 pins , 2 for power and ground and 2 for signal , rx and tx. The printer is powered by an external power supply, usb pins are plugged into arduino pins and there is an ethernet shield also connected to the arduino. Now with this setup connected to a router, how will u print wireless, that's my question.. thankyou

Swaton:
In a usb , there are 4 pins , 2 for power and ground and 2 for signal , rx and tx. The printer is powered by an external power supply, usb pins are plugged into arduino pins and there is an ethernet shield also connected to the arduino. Now with this setup connected to a router, how will u print wireless, that's my question.. thankyou

No,
your understanding of USB is inaccurate. Your best result would be to buy a WiFi to USB print server. You could get one for less than $100. To build one with a Arduino as the controller would take you YEARS. You would have to learn the USB protocol, Learn IPP or UDP and or CUPS. Unless you have unlimited time or unlimited funds to hire someone, just spend the $100.

Chuck.

In a usb , there are 4 pins , 2 for power and ground and 2 for signal , rx and tx.

The 2 data lines are +/- signal, like RS485. Comm's go one way at a time only (simplex). Master talks, slave responds.

At chucktodd, is there anything wrong in what I said that a usb has 4 pins and 2 of them are power and ground and the other 2 are the signal rx,tx , I mean this is basic Knolodge man . I hope you get my concept of transmitting the rx and tx part over the wifi and get it to the printer through the arduino.That's it.

At crossroads , I did not get you , if u could elaborate what u mean that would be gr8

Thank you

Swaton:
At chucktodd, is there anything wrong in what I said that a usb has 4 pins and 2 of them are power and ground and the other 2 are the signal rx,tx , I mean this is basic Knolodge man . I hope you get my concept of transmitting the rx and tx part over the wifi and get it to the printer through the arduino.That's it.

At crossroads , I did not get you , if u could elaborate what u mean that would be gr8

Thank you

Start here USB a brief Tutorial

Differential Signaling

IPP protocol

The reason I answered you question in this brusk manner, is that I am dissuading you from your path. I do not believe that you have enough knowledge to embark on this journey. The goal is laudable, but I do not believe you will successfully achieve your goal. You need to step back and start something with a closer near term goal, Arduino's are memory limited hardware. The biggest in the family only has 32k of RAM, Program space, FLASH is likewise limited, The UNO only has 32k of Flash and ONLY 2K of RAM.

As an example, How big in bytes of a print job do you think a 5 page MS Word document creates?

Take your printer printer offline, print a document, open the Print Queue and look at the Size Field.

In my example a simple 6 page Chemistry paper of 1,172 words, generate 980,000 bytes of a print job. This example has no color, just black and white text with a few line graphs.

You will need to educate yourself to a point where you understand all of the terms and subjects bandied about here.

Chuck.

Well thanks for ur time and Knolodge , chuck . I should rather think of something else.

Thankyou

You can get USB Host shields for Arduinos which would allow you to connect a printer, but thats the easy bit.
You would have to write your own printer driver so that the Arduino would recognise your printer, and then you would need to write code to read the data from the Ethernet Shield to drive the printer.
This assumes that the Ethernet Shield has its own TCPIP stack.
A very difficult task to do when there are existing devices which do it all.

It is possible!
The Arduino would not be acting as Host because it would be transparent.
So the PC would send data packets to the ethernet shield and it would transmit through the Serial. No matter the protocol, because the conversion is transparent.
I did so and it works well!

Felipe Peretti