Arduino controlled Peltier element

Hi
I am trying to build a project with Peltier module being controlled by Arduino Mega 2560, detect the temperatures using DHT sensors and time taken to heat and cool using onboard timers. I am planning to keep the temperatures between 5 to 60 degree Celsius. But I have few concerns regarding the hardware design which is mentioned below:

Can a single Peltier module use to drive these much temperatures simultaneously?

Would a Mosfet of power driving circuits to be installed on the board to bring the temperatures in the module?

Any interrupts required for the simultaneous actions?

Can the simultaneous action of heating and cooling feasible?

Could you please help me the designing.

Can a single Peltier module use to drive these much temperatures simultaneously?

I don't know what you mean by "simultaneously".

You might want to make a guess of the wattage needed, then you could make a heater with power-resistors and a power supply and do some heating experiments. That could give you some idea of the power required. On the cooling-side you can't experiment without a Peltier'

Would a Mosfet of power driving circuits to be installed on the board to bring the temperatures in the module?

To switch between heating & cooling you have to reverse the direction of current-flow. That requires an H-bridge (4 transistors or MOSFETs and some other circuitry) or a DPDT relay. If you use a relay, a 2nd relay (or a MOSFET) is needed to switch it on/off. You can buy H-bridge drivers.

Probably not. The temperature can't change instantly so your software probably doesn't have to respond instantly.

The Peltier gets hot on one side and cold on the other. Of course you can't control the heating & cooling separately.

It might make more sense to use the Peltier for cooling and separate restive heating element. I assume a heating-only element is more efficient.

shikha25:
Hi
I am trying to build a project with Peltier module being controlled by Arduino Mega 2560, detect the temperatures using DHT sensors and time taken to heat and cool using onboard timers. I am planning to keep the temperatures between 5 to 60 degree Celsius. But I have few concerns regarding the hardware design which is mentioned below:

Could you please help me the designing.

Your design has to include heat sinking for both sides of the Peltier module. And may need a fan on the heat sink on the hot side..

Buy several Peltier devices because you will surely kill one or two in the process.

Paul

DVDdoug:
It might make more sense to use the Peltier for cooling and separate restive heating element. I assume a heating-only element is more efficient.

Well, a resistor as a heater is almost 100% efficient.
But if you don't count the thermal energy drawn from the cool side as supplied energy, the efficiency of a Peltier module is >100% :slight_smile: