arduino due OPERATING VOLTAGE

Hello
I'm a new user, I want to use Arduino Due by installing some other enhancements, but I'm still confused when I read the specifications of the Due, it says
OPERATING VOLTAGE
3.3V
INPUT VOLTAGE (RECOMMENDED)
7-12V
what do the two mean? or what is the difference between the two?
Please help
thank you

The processor device operates at 3.3V.
The logic levels are 3.3V for HIGH and 0V for LOW.

The board will accept a supply voltage of between 7 and 12V

And to make it clear, you can not add / use devices (modules) that have 5V output levels; you will blow up your Due.

what does it mean when I plug in the pin of the enhancement that there is power that the device puts out to the arduino?

Hi @sagise

The Arduino Due can be powered in a number of different ways:

1. From either the Due's Programming or Native USB port with a USB cable connected to your PC/laptop/host compter
  2. From a 7-12V input voltage on the Due's barrel adapter socket
  3. From a 7-12V input voltage applied to the Due's "Vin" pin, (with the supply's ground connected to one of the Due's GND pins as well)

The power from the USB cable or the 7-12V applied to the board is reduced down to the 3.3V operating voltage by an on-board voltage regulator. The 3.3V is then used to power the Due's microcontroller chip.

This means the Due's outputs will be between 0 and and 3.3V, but also requires that any voltage applied to the microcontroller's inputs must also be within this range and never exceed 3.3V. Any voltage above this, such as 5V from other devices risks permanently damaging the microcontroller.

If you need to convert between 5V and 3.3V digital signals, use a logic level converter board.

what do you mean by 5 v from other devices?
do other devices also provide voltage to arduino?

I have a plan to make calculations using Arduino Due and additional devices such as the NEO6MV2 GPS Module and 0.96 Inch I2C Oled Display Module, from the information I've read, the Arduino Due must use a 3.3v voltage, I'm confused whether with these additional devices the Arduino Due will just fine?

or if anyone can help me further maybe they can provide steps to assemble the device, so that errors do not occur that can damage.

Hi @sagise

Digital signals represent binary information, either 0 or 1. Digital signals are used to allow devices such as microcontrollers and sensors to talk to each other.

In electronics, the binay 0 is usually represented by a signal at 0V and the binary 1 at some predefined voltage.

In the past, the standard for this predefined voltage was 5V, meaning digital signals used by these 5V microcontrollers/sensors/devices are either 0V for a binary 0 or 5V for a binary 1. This is the voltage used on the Arduino Uno, Nano, Mega, etc...

However, in recent years newer microcontrollers/sensors/devices have moved to a new standard at 3.3V, such as the Arduino Due.

Generally, when connecting a microcontroller to other sensors it's important that the operating voltages match. That being said, it's usually possible to output a 3.3V signal to a 5V device's input, however the reverse (5V output to 3.3 input), must be avoided unless a logic level converter is used.

how about NEO6MV2 GPS Module and 0.96 Inch I2C Oled Display Module, can it be used in DUE? or in other words what is the voltage of the device matches the DUE?

Hi @sagise

Usually, if you power these devices (GPS & OLED display) with the Due's 3.3V pin (plus the GND pin) then you'll be OK.

Just check the devices' technical specifications to make sure that they're 3.3V compatible. For example, my NEO6M GPS has a solder jumper to select between 3.3V and 5V operation.

thank you very much, I hope next time when I have a problem you can help me again.

According to https://opencircuit.shop/product/gy-neo6mv2-gps-module, the NEO6MV2 is a 3.3V device so you should be OK. I'm not sure if this datasheet (https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/products/documents/NEO-6_DataSheet_(GPS.G6-HW-09005).pdf) is 100% representative but the current consumption is around 67 mA which should give you an indication.

You can do similar research for the OLED display that you're planning to use.

1 Like

there is a difference between the two information, but if the correct one is voltage 3.6 will the DUE be damaged?

Not behind a PC at the moment. From memory, the maximum Vcc is 3.6V and the minimum is in the order of 2V; check the datasheet.

So you can supply the board with 3.3V and the Due will not be damaged.

ok thanks for the information

how its

??

According to https://www.waveshare.com/w/upload/a/ae/ST7789_Datasheet.pdf, the driver chip uses 7.5 mA (worst case). I do not know about the display itself. You will have to measure it.

But I suspect that you will be at the limits of the NX1117CE33Z voltage regulator; it will be trial and error (it might work if you power everything from the Due or it might not). You might want to consider a dedicated 3.3V power supply for the GPS and the display.

Hi @sagise

I'm sure that it'll be OK to power both the display and GPS with the Arduino Due's 3.3V pin.

The Arduino Due has a much stronger 3.3V voltage regulator than either the Arduino Uno or Mega and is rated for up to 800mA of continuous load current.

1 Like

Without considerable heatsink?

Hi @sterretje

Yes you're right, I just lazily quoted the Arduino Due's technical specification.

Ok, looking at the NX1117CE33Z voltage regulator's datasheet, a more realistic figure is around 360mA coutinuous load for 5V input, 0.6W power dissipation at 25°C ambient using FR4 PCB with standard footprint.

Say 100mA as a conserative estimate for the SAM3X8E itself, leaves around 260mA, which should still be enough headroom to power both the display and GPS as well.

1 Like