Arduino Due R3 and Sparkfun Can Bus Shield PROJECT.

Hello everyone.

I just ordered these 2 boards, Arduino Due R3 and Sparkfun Can Bus Shield .(I dont have them yet, i m posting this to be more informed at the right time)

(CAN-BUS Shield - DEV-13262 - SparkFun Electronics ).

I have read a lot untill now about these two boards(programming codes, examples, connection,), but i did not found something verry specific about this exactly 2 boards being together.

If anyone connected them untill now and extracted data from CAN with them, i am curious about the connection and the programming code.Or any tips that you can give me

Overall, i want to display the speed of a car useing these 2 boards.

I will update this post with my progress.

Thank you and wish you the best.

Due is 3.3v only.
Don’t plug that shield directly into the Due.
You need a high speed level shifter for the SPI connections and a 5v supply for the shield.

mikb55:
Due is 3.3v only.
Don't plug that shield directly into the Due.
You need a high speed level shifter for the SPI connections and a 5v supply for the shield.

So i cant just connect the Arduino Due to the +3.3V pin located on the can bus shield?

https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/learn_tutorials/3/8/0/Shield_Labeled.png --- On the right side

You don't need a CAN bus shield at all since the DUE HAS 2 CAN bus (CAN0 and CAN1). All you need is 3.3V CAN transceivers plus the CAN bus library from Collin80.

ard_newbie:
You don't need a CAN bus shield at all since the DUE HAS 2 CAN bus (CAN0 and CAN1). All you need is 3.3V CAN transceivers plus the CAN bus library from Collin80.

You are right, the Arduino due have CANRX and CANTX.

Could you please elaborate the schematic(connections)?

ard_newbie:

I would add that due to the current Covid-19 virus problem in China, the hobby electronics industry has basically shutdown for the foreseeable future. This is a problem for things like transceiver boards because most are manufactured in China.

When shopping make sure that the supplier's stock is listed as being in your country, or in a country that is not badly affected by the virus. If the seller is vague about the location then it could be months before you see the components that you paid for.

Hi there Christache, I'm trying to build a similar project. I was planning on using a Duo V3 with a Seeed Studio Can-bus Shield V2 on top as the shield V2 has the transceivers built in.
I am still trying to learn how to program it as I have no idea what commands to use for extracting the live data from the car for it to display on a nextion screen.