Hi, I apolofgise if this is in the wrong category, I was'nt clear on which category was appropriate.
Basically, I have a Ethernet sheild attached to a UNO R4 WiFi. When powering the Uno via the USB-C connection, everything works as expected. However, when connecting the ethernet sheild directly to a 802.3af switch, there is no power to the board. I have confirmed that all ports on the UniFi switch are operating correctly, delivering 44V PoE and approx 25W.
Googling the issue suggests that there's some jumpers that need setting to activate the PoE feature on the ethernet sheild, but I can't find any description of where the jumpers are, or what the settings need to be?
All I can tell you is I purchased a special POE router and plugged a POE cable into the one port on the router that was for POE, and when I plugged the other end into the shield, it worked.
It's not hard to find out: if you're talking about the UNO R4, just type it in the box under the UNO R4 category (Minima or WiFi).
It has nothing to do with the Mega 2560.
Please wait for a moderator to move this thread to the appropriate area or delete this one and post in the UNO R4 area.
I moved your topic to a more appropriate forum category @gsconsulting.
In the future, when creating a topic please take the time to pick the forum category that best suits the subject of your question. There is an "About the _____ category" topic at the top of each category that explains its purpose.
Thankyou for your feedback... But the topic is not about the Uno R4, it's about the ethernet shield. Which is compatible with a number of boards. Are you able to offer any advice on the question asked??
Thanks for moving it to the appropriate section Pert. As a newcomer to the forum, I found it quite difficult to navigate the topics when posting a new question. Just some friendly feedback for you.
Thanks mate. Well, I've been working in network engineering for over 30 years, and I can honestly say I've never heard of a PoE router or cable. 802.3af defines pair 1 and pair 4 of CAT5e and above cable to carry the 44V power supply. How does the PoE cable you used differ from this?
And the PoE is normally supplied by the switch, not the router. Are you able to let me know what brand and model of router you used?
It may be a switch, I don't have it here to check. Sorry but I am not a network guy so all the boxes are routers to me. As far as the cable, I thought it was a special cable used for POEn but maybe not.
Well, the specs claim it to support 802.3af, which last I checked was a PoE standard. It is a Chinese version of the ethernet shield, which could be the problem, but here is the link for the one I bought:- Ethernet Shield for Arduino Boards
Ok thanks. I'm not sure how a PoE injector would be any different to a PoE switch, as an injector is just a 2 port switch when it's all said and done...
But that i2c does look interesting nonetheless... I'll check it out