ARDUINO for wind turbine project

hi every body I want to connect ARDUINO UNO with Stepper motor and with electricity voltage sensor so when the voltage change the ARDUINO turns the motor specific degree

my aim is to change the angle of the blades of a wind turbine according to the change in the current that the generator produce I want the arduino to use the sensor to test the voltage at each angle and then choose the angle that gives highest voltage and this process will happen every 5 minutes

can anybody help with this or have any idea about it I have no experience with ARDUINO unfortunately I am beginner

Thanks

Pitch control is typically done based on wind speed. Google tip speed ratio.

You need to provide some information about the voltage sensor you are talking about. Do you have a vendor link or a datasheet ?

my aim is to change the angle of the blades of a wind turbine according to the change in the current that the generator produce I want the arduino to use the sensor to test the voltage at each angle and then choose the angle that gives highest voltage and this process will happen every 5 minutes

This is a bit vague. We need to know what the range of motion is for the blades (stepper motor) which means we more information about your stepper motor and driver. You have given us practically nothing. Please post: stepper motor datasheet stepper motor driver link or datasheet voltage sensor datasheet or link blades (motor) range of motion

raschemmel: You need to provide some information about the voltage sensor you are talking about. Do you have a vendor link or a datasheet ?

This is a bit vague. We need to know what the range of motion is for the blades (stepper motor) which means we more information about your stepper motor and driver. You have given us practically nothing. Please post: stepper motor datasheet stepper motor driver link or datasheet voltage sensor datasheet or link blades (motor) range of motion

thank you first for reply I did not choose the sensor or the stepper motor yet can you suggest any that i can buy online .. the stepper motor will be attached to small bevel gear, I want the stepper motor to rotate 180 degrees max and each 20 degrees test the voltage and return to the degree with highest voltage after the test this will happen every 5 minute.

HumamARDUINO: I want the arduino to use the sensor to test the voltage at each angle and then choose the angle that gives highest voltage

I think that rather than trying to guess the optimum blade angle from the output voltage (and all the trial-and-error and hunting that implies) it would be better to understand what the optimum blade angle is for a given wind condition and just hard-code that relationship. I'm not sure what the optimum is going to be in your case but I suspect you'll find that the optimum condition gives you a fairly consistent ratio between blade speed and wind speed and probably doesn't actually require you to move the blades unless you need to shed load. In any case, you need to understand what the optimum relationship is in order to write the code to achieve it.

Hi, you need to look at power output, not voltage.
The wind produces power, your battery state will have an influence over the voltage and current drawn from the turbine.
What you are trying to do is a Max Power Point Controller.
Also you will need to program in voltage limits to prevent over charging/voltage on the batteries.

What size wind turbine and battery system?

Hope to help…

Tom… :slight_smile:

DavidOConnor: Pitch control is typically done based on wind speed. Google tip speed ratio.

thank you for reply do you think I can use the voltage sensor for this project?

HumamARDUINO:

DavidOConnor:
Pitch control is typically done based on wind speed. Google tip speed ratio.

thank you for reply
do you think I can use the voltage sensor for this project?

For pitch control, you leave the blades at 90 degrees to obtain maximum output. When wind speed exceeds the maximum the turbine can endure at full power, pitch the blades to reduce power. You could do that by monitoring wind speed or power or both. If you monitor power then yes a voltage sensor could be used as well as a current sensor.

To maximize output, you need to modulate the rotor speed to achieve the optimal tip speed ratio for your turbine. This is typically done by using the generator to raise or lower the torque on the rotor.

If you are going to ask any questions about voltage sensors you need to start by first posting the voltage sensor voltage requirements
(min max , ac or dc) etc. There are thousands of voltage sensors for every possible application . You need to specify what it is you need.
Most of us here are familiar with Mains voltage requirements for different countries but it is a bit of a stretch to expect us to know what a wind generator puts out. (obviously some of us know that but it’s not the typical thing we deal with)

HumamARDUINO: I want the arduino to use the sensor to test the voltage at each angle and then choose the angle that gives highest voltage and this process will happen every 5 minutes

If you mean you plan to check the power/voltage every 5 minutes and adjust the blades then I believe you have the wrong concept in your mind.

The wind force will change several times per second. It is one of the problems with designing wind turbines as they need to withstand large short term changes in force. If you take measurements every 5 minutes you might easily be getting your data at the worst possible moment.

I don't think this is a practical project for a DIY sized wind turbine. The control mechanism will consume more power than the turbine generates - certainly more than the incremental power that the pitch control provides.

...R

raschemmel: If you are going to ask any questions about voltage sensors you need to start by first posting the voltage sensor voltage requirements (min max , ac or dc) etc. There are thousands of voltage sensors for every possible application . You need to specify what it is you need. Most of us here are familiar with Mains voltage requirements for different countries but it is a bit of a stretch to expect us to know what a wind generator puts out. (obviously some of us know that but it's not the typical thing we deal with)

I have a generator that can produce 1000W and the max Voltage is 500V .. Do you think I can find a sensor for Arduino that can sense this high Voltage and thank you in advance for answer.

Hi, do you have a graph of the performance of the wind turbine, windspeed vs power? Is that 500V ac, if so single or three phase? Does it have a make and model number?

Tom...... :)

Dear Experts :) I want to Use Arduino Uno with stepper motor MITSUMI M35SP-7NP and Voltage Sensor .. Can anybody give me an idea how to connect them together, I need to know how I can power the Stepper motor with battery as well (I have one 6V battery with 0.3A .. I have two 12V battery with 1.3A Current )

I have do this steps but i do not know if it suitable for what I need to do https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-arduino-lesson-16-stepper-motors/breadboard-layout

and i have read this topic as well http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=13711.0

I need your advice and thank you all.

Can you provide a link to the specifications for the motor.

In general you will need a stepper motor driver board to interface between the Arduino and the motor. The board must be able to supply the current required by the motor. The Pololu A4988 is a typical driver board - lots of info on their website. However without knowing the details of your motor I don't know if it is suitable in your case.

What do you intend to do with the voltage sensor?

...R

BAD IDEA to adjust the blade pitch of your wind turbine every 5 minutes. Other posts say why.

An old idea was to make a near-instant blade pitch adjustment to let through gusts. In that mechanism, the blades are tilted forward (into the wind) by two degrees, and the wind bends them back towards 0 degrees conical angle from a flat circle, opposed by truck springs, and the pitch is adjusted by a purely mechanical response to how far the springs have been pressed in. During a gust, the blades get pressed back against their springs, pitch changes quite a lot, to let through most of the gust power. After the gust, springs push the blades back forward and reverse the pitch change. It avoids needing slip rings to electrical pitch adjust motors or a control computer mounted in the rotating part.

Now if you were thinking of maximising output power, Don't buy anything called a "voltage sensor" as that won't do it.

Robin2: Can you provide a link to the specifications for the motor.

In general you will need a stepper motor driver board to interface between the Arduino and the motor. The board must be able to supply the current required by the motor. The Pololu A4988 is a typical driver board - lots of info on their website. However without knowing the details of your motor I don't know if it is suitable in your case.

What do you intend to do with the voltage sensor?

...R

first thank you for reply me

I have board Dual H-bridge actually and the generator is this http://www.ginlong.com/Products/wind-turbine-pmg-pma-permanent-magnet-generator-alternator-GL-PMG-1500.htm

I want the sensor to measure the voltage that is produced by the generator every 5 minutes at certain angle then change the angle to check the change in the voltage, and repeat this process for 5 times to find the optimum angle for the wind speed .. and choose this angle

Please don't double post - it just waste's everyone's time.

I will ask the Moderator to merge this with your other Thread.

...R

Hi, rated power 1500W, Rated DC output current 30A.
P=VI so V=P/I
V=1500/30= 50V, not 500V…
How much research have you done to design a set of blades to obtain the required torque and speed?

http://www.ginlong.com/download/200908/GL-PMG-1500_Specification_Sheet.pdf

Tom… :slight_smile:

http://gmw.com/electric_current/LEM/voltage-transducers.html

@HumamARDUINO, I am completely confused now.

This subject started off with a stepper motor and a voltage sensor.

It looks like the stepper motor has now fallen out of the project - but maybe not?

You seem to be planning a 1kW wind turbine but you seem to have your voltage calculation off by a factor of 10.

I think it is time for you to describe the entire project.
How will the energy be consumed?
How will the load on the generator be managed?
Are you still thinking of a blade pitch changing mechanism?
Will you need a mechanism to deal with storm force winds?
Do you plan to use proper aerodynamically shaped blades?
Are you buying a complete kit or are you just buying bits and pieces to your own design?
How much energy (kWhrs) do you expect to be produced in a typical 12 month period?

…R