Arduino into a PCB

OK… so I am attempting to take a Arduino design into a sell-able product.

What is the easiest way? Create a PCB? What about the code?

Please feel free to call me a fool and redirect me to a page… I tried to search around but honestly I didnt even know what to search.

Thank you in advance.

I presume you have a functioning prototype. Sparkfun has some tutorials and links to help you design a PCB: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorial_info.php?tutorials_id=115

There is a link on their site to BatchPCB, to get your custom PCB fabricated.

What about the code?

What about it? It's kind of important to have some. Putting it on the chip on the PCB is usually a pretty good idea, too.

Alright. Creating the design and BatchPCB seems easy enough...

Please, please forgive my ignorance... I absolutely understand that I need a chip on the board... but how do I go about selecting the proper chip?

That would depend on the EEPROM, flash memory, etc. your board will require, the form factor (can you use a DIP chip like the 328? Or do you need to use something smaller like the one used on the Arduino Mega (1028 maybe? :P)). Everything comes down to how you need it.

but how do I go about selecting the proper chip?

How about you start at some even more basic questions. What is the purpose of this product? Who would buy it and at what price? Do you want to brand this as an Arduino or as a compatible? It is fully or only partly compatible - there are strict rules on what constitutes an Arduino.

For example I made a very small circuit board that contains a 100% Arduino compatible is a space that is twice the width of a mega328 and is breadboardable. I sell it as the om328p. I wouldn't start out with something like this however as it needs good PCB layout, soldering and debugging skills.

Regarding your basic questions... its an end user product where price is a factor (to keep it low cost).

The end user would have no knowledge of the chipset on the board nor would they care. Its a relatively simply design I just need to be able to take the arduino prototype and transfer that onto a chip / PCB.

If you have an Arduino-based prototype, that implies that you have already selected a chip. So, the question

but how do I go about selecting the proper chip?

doesn't really make sense.

Thank you all in advance for your help... (and patience!)

...so bear with me...

ATmega168 with Arduino Bootloader/ATmega328 with Arduino Bootloader/AVR 28 Pin 20MHz 16K 6A/D - ATMega168...etc...

All are arduino chips of varying sizes correct? 168 vs 328...

And the chip would be dependent on the size of the complied code? How is the code transferred onto the Atmega? If it loses power from the 5V is the code erased?

I understand these are basic of basic questions... but I clearly am trying to find my way!

Please answer the first question. Do you, or do you not, have a functioning prototype?

That I do.

Few sensors, Arduino Duemilanove, and 7 segment output.

So, what is the problem with using the ATmega328 chip on the PCB? You can add a socket and the chip, or use the surface mount equivalent as is used on the pro and mini.

Whether you need the 168 or 328 depends on the size of your code. The cost of the two chips is nearly the same. Might as well go for the one with the most memory.

As for how the code gets onto the chip, there are two ways to do it. One is to borrow Harry Potter's magic wand, and wave it at the chip while doing a happy dance. That method is not often successful, however.

The other is to put the code onto the chip in exactly the same way you put the code onto the chip on the Duemilanove.

If it loses power from the 5V is the code erased?

Is it erased from the Duemilanove? No, of course not.

Ok.. thanks. I tried the wand waving to no avail.

I, having only worked briefly with the Arduino, didnt know you could easily remove the chip. A little googling shows I should be able to pop it out or use an IC Remover.

Looks like I need to: 1) Complete the printed circuit board map (and have it made) 2) flash the chip on the arduino 3) pop flashed chip it into the PCB 4) game. set. match.

Thank you all again for my answering my rudimentary questions... but much thanks...

OK... so I am attempting to take a Arduino design into a sell-able product.

If you don't know about chip sockets, 168 versus 328 etc etc then may I politely suggest that you have a long learning curve to get to your goal.

--- Mike

Good sir... I whole-heartedly agree with you!

But ya gotta start somewhere right?

Yes we all started somewhere.

You might want to see if there is some electronics education you can take locally. Don't run before you can walk. Try building some simpler circuits first. I like using stripboard to build circuits. Start by copying some before designing your own.

-- Mike

im makin my pcbs. doing the photoresist method. check my post on my uv light box. i can send you a board if you want. just pay s&h.