Arduino MKR WIFI 1010: WiFi101 shield: NOT PRESENT

A few days ago I received my MKR WIFI 1010 including MKR2UNO Board. Vin Connected via power plug, and USB to PC connected as well. The Blink example works fine. Or any example excluding WIFI. I tried to use examples in "Examples>WIFI101" like Firmware Version or Scan Networks. It always comes back with "WiFi101 shield: NOT PRESENT" I even attempted to tun "Tools>FirmwareUpdater" By testing the connection, it comes back with "Programmer not responding". I read somewhere that a double-tap on the reset button might help. After doing this and a click on "refresh-list", I see two ports displayed. A click on the new port and "Test connection" Same result "Programmer not responding". On the MKR 1010 I see three LED's on: They are labeled "ON", "L" and "CHRG" which is slow flashing as well. I seem not to be able find tutorials or any help really pertaining to MKR wifi 1010. Since this board is different from MKR WIFI 1000, the examples there are not helping. I also cant find any layout and explanation pf the on-board LED's. Very frustrating! I hope, any of you can give me some help. Thanks a lot!

Just in case other people come up this thread.

Use the WiFiNINA library which can be installed using library manager. Do not use the WiFi101 library on the WiFi1010.

Do not run the WiFi101 tool on the WiFi1010 board. A WiFi1010 tool will be released later.

Thanks for your Info.
Unfortunately I did try to use the Wifi101 toll, however it did not succeed. My question is: Have I screwed the firmware on my board? Because no WIFI related sketches work. :o

Globedrifter:
Thanks for your Info.
Unfortunately I did try to use the Wifi101 toll, however it did not succeed. My question is: Have I screwed the firmware on my board? Because no WIFI related sketches work. :o

No. the 101 firmware tool can't flash the ESP32 NINA

@Globedrifter

Use only the examples from the WiFiNina examples as they are tailored to work with the MKR1010.
Communication to the NINA is different from the other chipsets as Juraj sort of mentioned.

ballscrewbob:
@Globedrifter

Use only the examples from the WiFiNina examples as they are tailored to work with the MKR1010.
Communication to the NINA is different from the other chipsets as Juraj sort of mentioned.

is not much different. the networking communication is over SPI and the WiFiNINA library is a very simple rewrite of the WiFi101. you can see it in the revisions history of the source code on GitHub.

but of course the ESP32 is flashed over Serial as usual. pin 0 LOW to flashing mode, reset and then the SerialPassthrough based sketch in SAMD copies the data from SerialUSB to Serial1 (or 2 or 3?) where the ESP32 is connected. and the negotiation of flashing protocol of esptool must match

and if you want samd sketch OTA upload, take the WiFi101OTA library and in WiFi101OTA.h replace #include "WiFi101.h" with #include "WiFiNINA.h". I can't test it, but with additional replaces of "WiFi" to "Ethernet" it worked over Ethernet on M0.

gdsports:
Just in case other people come up this thread.

Use the WiFiNINA library which can be installed using library manager. Do not use the WiFi101 library on the WiFi1010.

Do not run the WiFi101 tool on the WiFi1010 board. A WiFi1010 tool will be released later.

Thank you! I was having the same issue with the MKR1010. I modified the WiFiOTA example as follow:

#include <SPI.h>
#include <WiFiNINA.h>
#include <ArduinoOTA.h>

And this works like a champ! Basically, I just changed the last two libraries, here are the original libraries included in the WiFiOTA example:

#include <SPI.h>
#include <WiFi101.h>
#include <WiFi101OTA.h>

Hope this will help someone else out there.