Arduino Nano 33 BLE as an audio transmitter

Hi! I'm new to Arduino and I'm stuck on how to start learning the things that I needed.

I'm currently working on a project. The goal is to stream audio wirelessly through Bluetooth. The audio is an analog signal converted to digital before transmitting.

1. Is it possible to transmit audio using Arduino Nano 33 BLE as the audio transmitter? (specifically transmitting signal from Nano 33 BLE to an android phone)

2. Do I need to develop an app to make this possible?

3. I have read that BLE is not meant for large streams of data, like audio-streaming devices, but early this year there is a new technology which is LE Audio which tackle this problem. Does Arduino Nano 33 BLE already have this? If not, is it possible to use traditional Bluetooth feature of Nano 33 BLE to transmit audio?

4. If it is not really possible to use Nano 33 BLE for this, do you have any suggestions that I can use?

I really appreciate your help!

rmond18:
Hi! I'm new to Arduino and I'm stuck on how to start learning the things that I needed.

Welcome to the forum.

rmond18:
I'm currently working on a project.

What kind of project. Is this commercial? Are you going to develop a product?

rmond18:

1. Is it possible to transmit audio using Arduino Nano 33 BLE as the audio transmitter? (specifically transmitting signal from Nano 33 BLE to an android phone)

Yes and No. An Android phone can read data from an Arduino Nano 33 BLE which can represent audio data but with extremely limited bandwidth. There is no standard solution for now.

rmond18:
2. Do I need to develop an app to make this possible?

For the use case above yes because it would be proprietary e.g. your own solution.

rmond18:
3. I have read that BLE is not meant for large streams of data, like audio-streaming devices, but early this year there is a new technology which is LE Audio which tackle this problem. Does Arduino Nano 33 BLE already have this?

I suspect it will be quite a while before we will see this supported on Arduino. I have only seen an announcement of an evaluation kit from Nordic. It does not seem to be available anywhere. Maybe it is limited to specific customers for now. Other vendors of BLE chips do not seem to focus on LE Audio.

rmond18:
If not, is it possible to use traditional Bluetooth feature of Nano 33 BLE to transmit audio?

The Arduino Nano 33 BLE is a BLE only product and does not support Bluetooth Classic.

rmond18:
4. If it is not really possible to use Nano 33 BLE for this, do you have any suggestions that I can use?

If the answer to the first question is yes, talk to Nordic. Otherwise I would not get my hopes up. Even Bluetooth Classic Audio is not a hobby project.

Thank you for replying!

Klaus_K:
What kind of project. Is this commercial? Are you going to develop a product?

It's for my final year project as an undergraduate, not commercial. I'm designing a Bluetooth-enabled electronic stethoscope.

Klaus_K:
The Arduino Nano 33 BLE is a BLE only product and does not support Bluetooth Classic.
If the answer to the first question is yes, talk to Nordic. Otherwise I would not get my hopes up. Even Bluetooth Classic Audio is not a hobby project.

So the Bluetooth 5 in NINA B306 (Bluetooth module of Nano 33 BLE) is for BLE only? :frowning:

I have read in the other forums that Nano 33 IoT supports Bluetooth Classic, do you know if it can support audio streaming?
Should I just look for a Bluetooth Audio Module for this?

rmond18:
Thank you for replying!
It's for my final year project as an undergraduate, not commercial. I'm designing a Bluetooth-enabled electronic stethoscope.

Interesting project. If you have enough time, contact Nordic. Maybe they are interested to sponsor your project by providing a development board and answer some technical questions. Check if there is a local office where you live or contact them with an email describing your project.

rmond18:
So the Bluetooth 5 in NINA B306 (Bluetooth module of Nano 33 BLE) is for BLE only? :frowning:

Yes. BLE only devices can be made lower power and cheaper. Have a read through the datasheet. It is quite clear if you have the fact in mind. Just remember they would not write it does not support Bluetooth Classic because datasheets do not write about things a device does not support, otherwise they would have a million pages. :slight_smile:

rmond18:
I have read in the other forums that Nano 33 IoT supports Bluetooth Classic, do you know if it can support audio streaming?

The Arduino Nano 33 IoT has been modified by some to support Bluetooth Classic. That means it likely could be used for audio streaming from a hardware point of view. But I doubt you will find the software needed for that. Just a suspicion. For Bluetooth Classic most of the software was/is proprietary. Some small software companies where hoping to earn good money, making Bluetooth stacks. They cannot give their product away as open source and still hope to make money. Also, there was no real benefit for silicon manufacturers to provide the software to their few high-volume customers. For BLE the game is different. The products can also be used by small customers and even makers. So, the chip manufacturers provide the software to their customers.

rmond18:
Should I just look for a Bluetooth Audio Module for this?

Look at all options. I do not know what Bluetooth audio modules are available and whether they are a good choice for you.

Good luck with your project.

I really appreciate your recommendations Klaus_K, I will do try to contact Nordic about this.

Thank you again for helping! :slight_smile: