Arduino nano is not recognized anymore!!

Hello,

I have an Arduino nano and it was working OK, and determined by windows.

Now, I don't what happened to the board, it's not recognized by windows anymore.

I get this error message:

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328"

Sketch uses 1,030 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30,720 bytes.

Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM2": The system cannot find the file specified.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

I would have been better if you have provided info on the actual hardware. What kind of nano is it? What USB-to-UART bridge chip does it feature?

Neverthless, it is possible to pinpoint a few possible problems:

a) If your nano has a fake FTDI chip on it, it might have been plagued by the FTDI bricker. Fortunatly, unbricking it, is fairly easy.

b) The USB-to-UART bridge chip on it (FTDI, CHG, whatever) has failed permanently. This is common, and I have 2 Nanos with fake FTDI chips that failed the exact same way: their FTDI chips one day decided not to function anymore. Fortunatly I can still program them using ICSP, so it isn't a total loss.

c) Some driver problem. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for your nano's USB chip.

This is the same board I have.

You know ? It should be problem b. Because it was working pretty well.

I should try to program it with the uno board. if it worked the FTDI chip is gone.

Thank you for you answer :slight_smile:

After the latest updates of both my Mac and the IDE, none of the clones (UNO and Nano) will upload, though a "Leonardo" had no problems ??

My Problem is also that there are as many solutions being offered as there are people experiencing problems. I have spent hours on the forum and am no closer to understanding where to start, though I have tried many of the proposed solutions.

It seems the MAJORITY suggest that it is the CH340G driver which needs updating. Meanwhile, any HARDWARE based solutions, like going through ISP ???

Uhm, maybe it's to obvious but uhm... Is COM2 correct? If you plugged it into another USB port Windows will assign a different COM number.. So is there no other COM number listed in the IDE?