Arduino Nano with WS2812B LED strip

Hi there,

I read somewhere that the Arduino Nano, connected via USB cable, can only supply 500mA max on the 5V output pin. However the max current draw for one LED on the WS2812B strip is 60mA, and i would need to connect more than 8 LED's. How would I supply more current to the rest of the LED's, there are 60 in total?

Thank you

1Blademaster:
Hi there,

I read somewhere that the Arduino Nano, connected via USB cable, can only supply 500mA max on the 5V output pin. However the max current draw for one LED on the WS2812B strip is 60mA, and i would need to connect more than 8 LED's. How would I supply more current to the rest of the LED's, there are 60 in total?

Thank you

You don't connect 5V from the LED's to Arduino, just use an external power supply that is capable of suplying at least the current you need and connect the strip to that power supply
To the arduino you will connect Data and GND will be connected to both the Power supply and the arduino (although I'm not 100% sure about that last one)

With an external 5v power supply with sufficient current for the whole strip. the +5v output goes to the +5v pin of the LED strip, and ground of the power supply is connected to ground of the LED strip and ground of the arduino.

Optionally, you can also connect it to the 5v pin on the nano so the nano can be powered by it too and it doesn't need to be plugged into a computer.

If your strips are long, you need to supply power to both ends, because the conductors in the strip are thin, and the current fairly high, so the voltage drop along the length of the strip will prevent the leds at the end farther from the power supply from working.

MBC99:
You don't connect 5V from the LED's to Arduino, just use an external power supply that is capable of suplying at least the current you need and connect the strip to that power supply
To the arduino you will connect Data and GND will be connected to both the Power supply and the arduino (although I'm not 100% sure about that last one)

Oh i understand you, thank you :smiley:

DrAzzy:
With an external 5v power supply with sufficient current for the whole strip.

Optionally, you can also connect it to the 5v pin on the nano so the nano can be powered by it too and it doesn't need to be plugged into a computer.

If your strips are long, you need to supply power to both ends, because the conductors in the strip are thin, and the current fairly high, so the voltage drop along the length of the strip will prevent the leds at the end farther from the power supply from working.

Ahh gotcha, thank you for your help :smiley: