Arduino Pro Mini multiple serial communication

Is it even possible to use the TX and RX (Pin 0, 1) of Arduino Pro Mini for serial communication to another board AND still use a virtual serial port for another purpose? Or is this already blocking each other?

Yes, if your "virtual" port uses pins other than 0 and 1.

I would use an Arduino Mega.

If you need something in a small package consider Mini Meduino Mega 2560 R3 Board Pro Mini ATMEGA16U2 with Male header for Arduino | eBay

The Pololu A-Star Micro is the same size as a Pro and has two hardware serial ports:

Power_Broker:
Yes, if your "virtual" port uses pins other than 0 and 1.

This is not an "if" situation. The virtual port should never use pins 0,1.

The virtual port and the hardware port, pins 0,1, have nothing to do with each other. If you are OK with the limitations of using a virtual port, it is OK and indeed common to do this..

Note that the other device on pins 0,1 may need to be disconnected in order for you to upload the programme to that Arduino.

Professor_Chaos:
The Pololu A-Star Micro is the same size as a Pro and has two hardware serial ports:

Pololu - A-Star 328PB Micro

If I buy one of these, which board choice do I make in the Arduino IDE ?
Thanks.

To use the Pololu A-Star in the Arduino IDE, follow the instructions on the Pololu A-Star web pages to install the Pololu board manager additions.

You don't get two equivalent hardware serial ports, though. One is through the USB connection to a PC.

jremington:
To use the Pololu A-Star in the Arduino IDE, follow the instructions on the Pololu A-Star web pages to install the Pololu board manager additions.

You don’t get two equivalent hardware serial ports, though. One is through the USB connection to a PC.

Ah thanks!

The one additional hardware serial is always handy especially if using with ESP-01 since the ESP-01’s AT firmware defaults to 115200.