Arduino to controll/ be eeprom programmer

I misread an ebay purchase and thought the programmer I bought would work over USB. Apparently they meant you can power it with USB but need a parallel port for data. In an effort to not buy more parts and use what I have laying around I would like to use my Arduino UNO to create a parallel port for this programmer. Is there any way to do this and if so guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Another option would be to use the arduino to program the AN28F512 chips I need to repair after a failed burn within the ECU. If anyone has gone this route I'm all ears

To program the chip you need 16 address lines, 8 data lines and 3 enable lines (plus power/ground) so a Uno does not have enough pins to do the job.

blh64:
To program the chip you need 16 address lines, 8 data lines and 3 enable lines (plus power/ground) so a Uno does not have enough pins to do the job.

That's why there are shift registers like the 74HC595 or nifty expander boards like the PCF8575.

Connected to A4 and A5, sixteen new I/O.

Suggest getting some Nanos for serious projects! :sunglasses:

Google found [u]USB to Parallel Port Adapters[/u]. Or, if you have a desktop/tower computer you can add a parallel port card.

Excellent point, presuming the provided software works with it.

The software is locked to LPT1 2 or 3 but I was able to revive my old tower with a parallel port. I also have an adapter on the way, but I was hoping to make use of my arduino in the mean time

also have an adapter on the way, but I was hoping to make use of my arduino in the mean time

I’ll be very impressed if you can design, build, program, and debug a programmer before the cable arrives! :smiley:

Space387:
The software is locked to LPT1 2 or 3

Let me guess - it runs on DOS? :grinning:

I could imagine that a Mega can speed up programming, with direct port writes instead of serial transmission.