Arduino uno, ethernet shield

Hi,
I have arduino Uno (not r2 or r3). I want to know can i use ethernet shield with it and which model i should buy.

Thank you :wink:

The model 'R2' does not have 'R2' printed on them.
Can you give links to the Uno board and the Ethernet Shield that you bought, or else make a photo of them ?

Do you know what the ICSP header is ? It is the 2x3 pins next to the microcontroller. If that is used by a connector at the bottom of the Ethernet Shield, it probably will work.

That is what i have :slight_smile: I don't have ethernet shield yet, because i don't know which model i should buy to work :slight_smile:

Thanks for the photos.
It is probably compatible with an Arduino Uno R2 version. The extra I2C pins are missing, that might be a problem for certain 'R3' shields, but not for an Ethernet Shield.

A very old EthernetShield will not work with it, but those are no longer sold on Ebay. I think that the Ethernet Shield version 'R3' and 'R2' will work with that Uno.

Everything that has 'R3' is compatible with each other. If you buy more Arduino boards and shields, buy a 'R3' version.

My advice: Use this Uno for testing, and buy a 'R3' Uno board and a 'R3' Ethernet Shield. If you want to do many things with the Ethernet Shield, you better use a 'R3' Arduino Mega 2560 board instead of an Uno.

Your response is greatly appreciated. Thank you for the information and your advice :wink: