Arduino Uno verification error; content mismatch while burning bootloader

Hi,

I have an Arduino Uno that I am trying to upload the basic blink sketch to using Arduino 1.8.5.
When I plug the board in via USB the green power light is on, the orange L is on and pressing reset flashes the orange LED's for a few seconds before they go constant again. I am getting the following error:

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000 0x0c != 0x00
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

I checked drivers, COM port, selection of correct board, USB cable. After searching the forums i drew the conclusion that it is some type of bootloader problem so I have been trying to burn the bootloader onto this Uno using another (working) Arduino Uno. I followed this tutorial from Sparkfun:

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/installing-an-arduino-bootloader

together with this video which i found more helpful:

So selecting "Arduino as ISP" as programmer, checking COM port and correct board I upload the "ArduinoISP" sketch to the master board without a hassle but when i click "burn bootloader" I get the following error:

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
0xfd != 0x07
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch
Error while burning bootloader.

I tried plugging in just the 'broken' arduino again and seeing if there is any change. The power LED goes on, the orange LED is on but now i get this error and the reset does not make any difference:

avrdude stk500_getsync() not in sync resp=0x00

Any advice welcome,

The error is a problem related to the change in avrdude version that came with 1.6.10 and avr board package 1.6.12 (they go together - the two use different numbering), one of several major issues - they treat unused bits differently now. I forget the exact fix to resolve this specifically (other than the brute force fix of uninstalling 1.6.10, blowing away c:/users/(username)/AppData (hidden)/Local/Arduino15 and reinstalling 1.6.9 and not choosing to update the boards.)

Based on this i have rolled back AVR board version to 1.6.11 and uploaded the ArduinoISP sketch and tried burning bootloader again. Have attached two log files - one for uploading the ArduinoISP sketch and the second for burning the bootloader.

1.UploadingArduinoISPsketch.txt (3.98 KB)

2.BurningBootLoaderSketch_AVR1.6.11.txt (4.19 KB)

Blargian:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=417772.0

Based on this i have rolled back AVR board version to 1.6.11 and uploaded the ArduinoISP sketch and tried burning bootloader again. Have attached two log files - one for uploading the ArduinoISP sketch and the second for burning the bootloader.

Do not roll back to that ancient version of the core, the issue described above was fixed way back in the 1.6.x versions. 1.8.x treats those bits differently, but has corrected the the board and conf files to account for that.