Arduino with PA-15 High Speed Linear Actuator

I'm trying to figure out how feasible this is. I'm looking to find a way to program and control both stroke length and speed of the specified linear actuator from Progressive Automations. Preferably the ability to switch the speed on a timer, but that's not necessary.

is the actuator I'm looking at. For speed I'd assume PWM is what I'll need. I spoke with customer service and they said it's possible but they wouldn't give me any specifics on what would be needed. The actuator has a brushed DC motor, I'm looking at 16" or 24" stroke length.

Questions:

1. What would I need in total to control both the speed and stroke length of the actuator?

2. What would the difficulty be to program? I have some experience with coding but it's just been personal projects.

3. Would this be cost prohibitive? Should I just get a basic pwm controller and deal with it?

To answer question number 1, you first need to design the system that is going to use the device. It will have to have limit switches so you can detect the travel limits. Their device has one limit switch with NO external connections, so it it just a safety switch to protect their mechanism.

The second thing you need is someway to determine the movement of your device, so you know the speed that it is moving.

The third thing for you to meditate on is how you will reverse the movement of the motor.

Enjoy!

Paul

Looking at those specs, that acutator is 12V, 9A so you will need a power supply beefy enough to provide that. You will also need a driver board that can handle that as well.

You will probably need to do some characterization of time/PWM vs. stroke length without having some sort of limit switch to tell you it has reached your desired position

Paul_KD7HB:
To answer question number 1, you first need to design the system that is going to use the device. It will have to have limit switches so you can detect the travel limits. Their device has one limit switch with NO external connections, so it it just a safety switch to protect their mechanism.

The second thing you need is someway to determine the movement of your device, so you know the speed that it is moving.

The third thing for you to meditate on is how you will reverse the movement of the motor.

Enjoy!

Paul

Do you have any particular recommendations? I know how I want the device to work, but I don’t have the experience to make any decisions in regard to what parts would be better or worse. What do you mean when you say determine the movement?

What do you mean when you say determine the movement?

How will you know how fast it is going?

If as @blh64 suggests

You will probably need to do some characterization of time/PWM vs. stroke length

If the load is varying and the speed varies with load, then you will need to actively determine position/speed, and the pre characterization of the effect of different pwm duty cycles on the motor will not be accurate.

You have not described your project, but based on what you have written, you are going to have to do some mechanical engineering and construction. That has nothing to do with electronics, coding or controlling. Are you up to it or not? If not, then start out with a simpler project.

Paul