Ardunio controlling a solid state relay to power a ultrasonic cleaner--

Hi everyone!

I picked up a really nice ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning PCBs and such for $15... New this model is probably around $900.

Here's the catch. There is a separate unit that powers the transducers in the cleaner and sets the frequency. I can only get a generator that may work and is really beat up for $230. I would like to avoid buying it but would love to get this cleaner working.

Looking at solid state relays-- Most are 5-24 volts DC input-- This is what I would need the arduino to do switch that ~5v a whole lot of times a minute to power the piezo electric transducers in the cleaner. That relay would be switching 240VAC which would never go into the ardunio of course... The relay is rated for 10 amps load side but not on the control side.

Seeking opinions on how to do this successfully so I'd have a functional cleaner. How would I program the ardunio to turn this relay on and off? the cleaner is suppose to operate at 25-45 Khz but that expectation is kind of high without a genuine controller.

Thanks for any ideas!

Switching relays using an Arduino is easy. Switching them often is easy, too. Switching them at 25-45 kHz - well, that's not something a relay can possibly do. A relay can go on and off, if you have a fast one maybe a few times a second, but that's it and they're not meant to be used like that.

My best guess is that the relays are there just to switch the whole thing on and off by the controller - maybe timed?

There must be some kind of wave generator and some kind of transducer (think: high frequency speaker) for the ultrasound part, and that's definitely an electronic thing.

Thanks for the reply. Yes there is a wave generator and that is in the controller which I don't have... Discussing the idea with a few people. There are 6 piezoelectric transducers in the cleaner that operate off of 25-45Khz 240V ac. I know that frequency is a little too much to ask for.

The problem is not the frequency (a simple oscillator can produce that handily), nor the regulation (I'm sure such an oscillator can be controlled by an Arduino, and also measuring the resulting frequency is no problem).

The big issue that I see here is the high voltage. You need components in your oscillator that can handle this, and you have to deal with all the safety issues related to the high voltage. Also the link to the Arduino becomes a bit of a challenge.