Are stepper motors suitable for my project?

I posted about a halloween project I'm working on in a different section of these forums. After a lot of thought and research I've decided to scale down the effects for the raven I'm going to make.

Right now all I'm really focused on is driving 3 little motors. I'm hoping stepper motors will be suitable but I'm not an engineer myself so I'm open to any suggestions.

I want to give the 2 wing motors the same pattern but have their shafts turn opposite of each other. And one motor for the head with its own turn patterns.

What I'm not sure about is the wiring. I don't know if other parts will be needed in addition to just the motors, breadboard and arduino.

This is the motor I have my sights set on.

But it doesn't specify the voltage or other aspects. Which is why I don't know which tutorial to rely on. There's a lot of them on youtube but I haven't come across any that uses that particular stepper.

So yea, just wondering if anybody has any advice. Even any suggestions on a different kind of motor to use would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Servo motors sound more appropriate for this type of "animatronics".

You want to use stepper motors. They are good at precisly positioning things but don't use them for turning things like propellers in a drone.

If the steppers are rather low current ones, less than 2 amp, there are shields for UNO, maybe even other boards, that easily make the steppers do the job.

Or can you not just use a singke motor with linkages running continually to operate the wings.

Railroader:
You want to use stepper motors.

Can you please explain to the OP why you believe that?

This type of application is exactly what servo motors are designed for. You specify a position and the motor turns to that position because it is aware of is current position at all times. A stepper motor is not, unless you add some kind of positional feedback sensor such as a limit switch. Also servo motors can be directly controlled by an Arduino pin, no driver circuits or shields are required.

Sorry, animatronics is a rather fancy term. What I need the wing motors to do is make 2 quick revolutions each time (if the motor is a servo then 4 quick rotations back and forth.). But I do need it to stop at the same location it took off from. I've heard you can modify a servo for continuous rotation but at the cost of sacrificing its feedback control.
I suppose a hobby servo with 180 degree's and enough torque could do the trick. Just need to find some that don't cost $40 a piece.

hammy:
Or can you not just use a singke motor with linkages running continually to operate the wings.

Butterfly Wing Flapping Test - YouTube

I would need the wings to move a little faster, but thanks for the reply.

hammy:

Butterfly Wing Flapping Test - YouTube

Just watched the entire video you linked. Thats actually not a bad idea.

Don't use the term "animatronics" if you don't want to, no one is forcing you. But if you want to explain to others what you want to do, it is a term that will allow most people to immediately understand what you mean.

If you don't want to spend $40 on a servo motor, start with the $1 ones and if they don't do what you need, then spend a little more. Do you have a torque figure in mind? The stepper you linked to does not specify a torque rating.

josh_727:
Just watched the entire video you linked. Thats actually not a bad idea.

But it is not a stepper motor. Just a DC motor. Only 2 wires. You won't easilly be able to stop the movement at a particular position.

PaulRB:
Don’t use the term “animatronics” if you don’t want to, no one is forcing you. But if you want to explain to others what you want to do, it is a term that will allow most people to immediately understand what you mean.

If you don’t want to spend $40 on a servo motor, start with the $1 ones and if they don’t do what you need, then spend a little more. Do you have a torque figure in mind? The stepper you linked to does not specify a torque rating.

Yea I know that stepper doesn’t specify squat. The 1000 rpm rating is what I was drawn to.

For the torque figure I would need it to wave a wing in and out that (I’m estimating) will weight somewhere between 30 to 35 grams whens its complete. Could way more could way less. Thats just a ball park figure atm.
I won’t know for sure until its finished.

As for the starting and stopping. I guess its not essential for it to log any precise locations. Just as long as it can start and stop in patterns and not keep spinning.

PaulRB:
But it is not a stepper motor. Just a DC motor. Only 2 wires. You won't easilly be able to stop the movement at a particular position.

btw, thats why the stepper idea seemed feasible. I mean it doesn't have feedback for position apparently but as long as it doesn't lose any steps I'm assuming it can make precise rotations?

My replies would come faster but its telling me I have a 5 minute limit.

@josh_727, I think it would be a big help if you could post a diagram of the mechanism you want to make and provide some numbers - such as the approximate size and weight of the moving parts and how far and how fast (or frequent) they need to move.

Maybe you can post a YouTube link that shows something similar.

At the moment there are just too many uncertainties.

...R

Just to toss my 2c worth…

Servo motors are probably too much extra overhead for very little benefit.
RC servos are possibly the best, as this project has a limited range of motion, and pretty minimal loads.
Steppers are certainly possible, but the hold and torque requirements need to be examined.

I’d use RC servos for simplicity.

lastchancename:
Just to toss my 2c worth…

Servo motors are probably too much extra overhead for very little benefit.
RC servos are possibly the best, as this project has a limited range of motion, and pretty minimal loads.
Steppers are certainly possible, but the hold and torque requirements need to be examined.

I’d use RC servos for simplicity.

I was thinking rc servo’s too. Thats probably what I’m going to roll the dice with if this becomes a race against time. Any suggestions on which ones to get would be great. Minimal to high torque, good rpm’s and 180 degree’s.
… and hopefully they don’t cost buku money

lastchancename:
Servo motors
RC servos

I'd appreciate an explanation of the differences. Apologies if I caused any confusion using the wrong term.

I found an explanation here:

Technically a servo-motor is any type of motor (AC/DC/stepper) with a closed loop controller. A stepper motor operates without feedback, controlling the rotor’s position by rotating a set number of degrees for each input pulse.
The most common type of servo-motor is an RC servo which employs a DC motor, reduction gear, and servo controller, all within the motor housing. They are controlled using PWM where the length of the pulse dictates how far the rotor rotates. This type of motor is commonly used to precisely actuate mechanical components on radio-controlled (RC) models or robotics.

It was RC servos I was suggesting, not realising the term "servo motor" could have a wider meaning.

PaulRB…
No offence intended, I’ve seen some of your very helpful posts in other threads
The confusion is very common… SERVOs vs RC Servos

No offence taken. Hopefully the OP now understands why an RC servo is probably more appropriate for their project than a stepper motor.