ATmega 16u2 DFU driver won't install on Win10

Hi all,

just got my first Arduino starter kit, downloaded and installed latest IDE (1.8.5) on my Win10 64 bit, connected the Arduino Uno board to USB via the provided cable.

The Uno green "on" led and yellow "pin13" led light up (is it normal to get the pin13 led on continuously at start up?) , got a message about configuration of a new device (apparently successful), fired up IDE, checked that "Arduino/Genuino Uno" is selected under "Tools | Board".

BUT: the "Tools | Port" menu is grayed out and, in Device Manager, ATmega 16u2 DFU (the USB controller, I believe) is under "Other devices" with a yellow warning icon and no driver installed.

So I tried to install the driver manually, selecting the Drivers directory under C:\Programs (x86)\Arduino and selecting the "look in subfolders" option: says it cannot find a driver for my device.

Also tried to right click and select Install on the arduino.inf file in the Drivers directory: says "Installation complete", but still the driver for the ATmega 16u2 DFU device is not installed.

Tried uninstalling everything, cleaning up with ccleaner and starting over: same result.

What can I try next?

Thanks a lot

(deleted)

Plugged the Uno to another USB port (2.0), got the same "Configuring..." and than "Your device is ready for use" popups, but the driver is still not installed and I cannot get the IDE to talk with the board. Also tried with yet anoter USB 3.0 port: same result.

This is an official Arduino board, in an official Starter Kit.

(deleted)

(deleted)

A more specific information is the Hardware ID of the connected device.

Are you certain your board has the 16u2 chip? A lot of the "official" boards are actually clones with CH340G chip, loose interpretation of the word official.

spycatcher2k:
Post a picture of your device manager!

How do you expect anyone to know what is installed from this very poor description. Remember, no one except YOU can see your computer!

Please find attached screenshots of the notifications I get when I first plug in the Uno, of the Device Manager and of the Properties tabs of the ATmega16u2 DFU device after installation. I agree with you those notifications have very poor information content, especially considering the device was not installed correctly, but you should complain to Microsoft, not to me. I’m trying my best to describe my problem in order to get useful suggestions (for which I am very grateful).

ATmega16u2_notifications.png

Device manager.png

Properties_General.png

Properties_Driver.png

Properties_Details_Hardware_ID.png

Properties_Details_Status.png

Properties_Details_Problem_status.png

Properties_Details_Problem_code.png

agrp87132:
Are you certain your board has the 16u2 chip? A lot of the “official” boards are actually clones with CH340G chip, loose interpretation of the word official.

The USB chip bears the marking “ATMEL MEGA16U2 1648 PH A8JJ6B”, see attached photo.

ptnapivoski: A more specific information is the Hardware ID of the connected device.

The hardware ID reported by Device Manager is:

USB\VID_03EB&PID_2FEF&REV_0000 USB\VID_03EB&PID_2FEF

It also reports problem code 0000001C - problem status "No compatible driver for this device" C0000490

Really weird: I tried installing on a friend's PC, also Win10 64bit, and got exactly the same result. So it's not a problem related to my particular PC. Tomorrow I'll try on Ubuntu, on yet another pc, just for the sake of completeness.

I repeat a question form my first post: is it normal to get the yellow "pin13" led on at power up?

Thanks to all for your support.

spycatcher2k: Bought from store.arduino.cc?

No, bought from Amazon. The kit (packaging, Uno board, components and the excellent paper manual) looks perfectly legit though.

In this page you can download the installer from Microship

FLIP

Download “FLIP 3.4.7.112 for Windows (requires Java Runtime Environment)” or another more updated.

Use WinRAR or 7-zip (prefered) to extract the .exe. Driver is inside and I think it is signed.

You can download more updated drivers from LibUSB-Win32 but I don't think they are signed.

ptnapivoski: In this page you can download the installer from Microship

FLIP

Download “FLIP 3.4.7.112 for Windows (requires Java Runtime Environment)” or another more updated.

Use WinRAR or 7-zip (prefered) to extract the .exe. Driver is inside and I think it is signed.

I installed "atmel_usb_dfu.inf" from the "usb" directory extracted from the installer. Driver signed by Atmel Norway, version 1.2.2.0 dating back to 2010.

Now the ATmega16U2 appears in Device Manager under a new "libusb-win32 devices" type and looks correctly installed (problem code "00000000"), but the IDE still cannot connect to the board with a greyed-out (disabled) "Tools | Port" menu.

So progress, but still no joy... :(

Set the environment variable DevMgr_Show_NonPresent_Devices to 1 so that you can see disconnected devices when displaying hidden devices in Device Manager.

By that way you can "remove" disconnected devices. It is a good thing to do a clean up in registry too.

Disconnect devices. Remove every disconnected device related to your problem. Connect again.

If present, USB 3.0 driver updated?

(deleted)

ptnapivoski: If present, USB 3.0 driver updated?

Controller host ASMedia USB 3.1 eXtensible - 1.10 (Microsoft) ver. 10.0.17134.1 dated 10/04/2018.

I also tried:

• swapping the USB cable with the one connecting my printer (good for sure)
  • uninstalling all Arduino-related devices, including hidden/disconnected ones per your instructions, cleaning up registry and starting over: no changes
  • installing IDE on MacOS 10.13.4: I get a single option under "Tools | Port" = /dev/cu.Bluetooth-incoming-Port. Trying to upload a sketch to the Uno gives a slew of errors like:
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

BTW I get exactly the same errors if the board is not connected.

I'm starting to think there's a problem with the board (I could not make it work with 3 distinct PCs, 2 Win10 and 1 Mac OS X).

I repeat a question form my first post: do you know if it is normal to get the yellow "pin13" led on (fixed) at power up, in addition to the green "on" led?

(deleted)

spycatcher2k:
Well, you’re a self entitled Twat!

Not interested in swapping opinions on our respective characterial shortcomings, sorry.

spycatcher2k:
A link to the Advert on Amazon would be great.

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00FDW8JJE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, sold by CampuStore

spycatcher2k:
when they bring them in to the workshop, the boards are without doubt, counterfeit

How can I identify a counterfeit? Please find an attached pic of the board.

spycatcher2k:
then return the kit under warranty for a replacement.

I’ve been starting from the assumption that the problem was on the PC side because the driver shipped with the IDE failed to install correctly. Now, after (apparently) successful installation on Win 10 of the alternate driver shipped with FLIP as sugggested by ptnapivoski, and after trying to connect to a Mac with no better results, I’m starting to think there’s something wrong with the board itself.

Being a complete newbie, I would appreciate some diagnostic directions to make sure my best option is to return the kit.

I repeat a question form my first post: is it normal to get the yellow “pin13” led on (fixed) at power up, in addition to the green “on” led?