ATmega328p: Creating object file only using an AVRDUDE make file

Hello. I'm reading a book that has simple C source code for blinking an LED. The target IC is an AVR ATmega328p.

It appears the author's make file has no avr-gcc references. Instead it seems strictly AVRDUDE.

I don't want to use AVRDUDE.

I just want to compile the object code file with avr-gcc. Later I plan to convert my object file into Intel hex and flash my atmega328p IC with an XGecu programmer. This programmer doesn't need AVRDUDE to flash a hex file to an ATmega328P.

My IDE is microchip studio and my build is successful but I don't see avr-gcc. The author's makefile is being used. This is reflected by the directory showing in the output.

Makefiles for avr-gcc have a list of parameters at the top for fuse values as well as clock. I can see the clock parameter of 1 MHz showing in my IDE output but no use of fuse values. Doesn't avr-gcc need this initial list of parameters like clock and fuse values?

I can not glean any output showing me how to use avr-gcc. It looks like the AVRDUDE references in the makefile somehow have taken over.

----------Microchip Studio Output-------

Rebuild All started: Project: ATmel328-test, Configuration: Release AVR ------
Build started.
Project "ATmel328-test.cproj" (Clean target(s)):
Target "Clean" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Vs\Compiler.targets" from project "C:\Users\john\Documents\EMBED\AVR-Studio-Projects\test2\ATmel328-test\ATmel328-test.cproj" (entry point):
	Using "RunCompilerTask" task from assembly "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Extensions\Application\AvrGCC.dll".
	Task "RunCompilerTask"
		Shell Utils Path C:\Users\john\Documents\EMBED\gnuwin32\bin
		C:\Users\john\Documents\EMBED\gnuwin32\bin\make.exe -C "C:\Users\john\Documents\EMBED\AVRW_code_030822\c02\p2" -f "Makefile" clean 
		make: Entering directory `C:/Users/john/Documents/EMBED/AVRW_code_030822/c02/p2'
		rm -f main.hex main.elf main.o *~
		rm: cannot remove `*~': Invalid argument
		make: *** [clean] Error 1
		make: Leaving directory `C:/Users/john/Documents/EMBED/AVRW_code_030822/c02/p2'
	Done executing task "RunCompilerTask" -- FAILED.
Done building target "Clean" in project "ATmel328-test.cproj" -- FAILED.
Done building project "ATmel328-test.cproj" -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.
------ Rebuild All started: Project: ATmel328-test, Configuration: Release AVR ------
Build started.
Project "ATmel328-test.cproj" (default targets):
Target "PreBuildEvent" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(PreBuildEvent)'!='') was evaluated as (''!='').
Target "CoreBuild" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Vs\Compiler.targets" from project "C:\Users\john\Documents\EMBED\AVR-Studio-Projects\test2\ATmel328-test\ATmel328-test.cproj" (target "Build" depends on it):
	Task "RunCompilerTask"
		Shell Utils Path C:\Users\john\Documents\EMBED\gnuwin32\bin
		C:\Users\john\Documents\EMBED\gnuwin32\bin\make.exe -C "C:\Users\john\Documents\EMBED\AVRW_code_030822\c02\p2" -f "Makefile" all 
		make: Entering directory `C:/Users/john/Documents/EMBED/AVRW_code_030822/c02/p2'
		avr-gcc -Wall -Os -Iusbdrv -DF_CPU=1000000 -mmcu=atmega328p -c main.c -o main.o
		avr-gcc -Wall -Os -Iusbdrv -DF_CPU=1000000 -mmcu=atmega328p -o main.elf main.o
		rm -f main.hex
		avr-objcopy -j .text -j .data -O ihex main.elf main.hex
		make: Leaving directory `C:/Users/john/Documents/EMBED/AVRW_code_030822/c02/p2'
	Done executing task "RunCompilerTask".
	Using "RunOutputFileVerifyTask" task from assembly "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Extensions\Application\AvrGCC.dll".
	Task "RunOutputFileVerifyTask"
				Program Memory Usage 	:	166 bytes   0.5 % Full
				Data Memory Usage 		:	0 bytes   0.0 % Full
				Warning: Memory Usage estimation may not be accurate if there are sections other than .text sections in ELF file
	Done executing task "RunOutputFileVerifyTask".
Done building target "CoreBuild" in project "ATmel328-test.cproj".
Target "PostBuildEvent" skipped, due to false condition; ('$(PostBuildEvent)' != '') was evaluated as ('' != '').
Target "Build" in file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Studio\7.0\Vs\Avr.common.targets" from project "C:\Users\john\Documents\EMBED\AVR-Studio-Projects\test2\ATmel328-test\ATmel328-test.cproj" (entry point):
Done building target "Build" in project "ATmel328-test.cproj".
Done building project "ATmel328-test.cproj".

Build succeeded.
========== Rebuild All: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped

----------------Makefile---------------------

This makefile is for an ATmega328P-PU at 1 MHz, USBasp programmer
# 
# This is a prototype Makefile. Modify it according to your needs.
# You should at least check the settings for
# DEVICE ....... The AVR device you compile for
# CLOCK ........ Target AVR clock rate in Hertz
# OBJECTS ...... The object files created from your source files. This list is
#                usually the same as the list of source files with suffix ".o".
# PROGRAMMER ... Options to avrdude which define the hardware you use for
#                uploading to the AVR and the interface where this hardware
#                is connected. I am using Arduino UNO as ISP and for this the
#                programmer is avrisp
# FUSES ........ Parameters for avrdude to flash the fuses appropriately.

DEVICE     = atmega328p
CLOCK      = 1000000
PORT_LX    = /dev/ttyACM0
PORT_MAC   = /dev/tty.usbmodemfa131
PROGRAMMER = -c USBasp 
OBJECTS    = main.o
FUSES      = -U lfuse:w:0x62:m -U hfuse:w:0xdf:m -U efuse:w:0xff:m

#
# For computing fuse byte values for other devices and options see
# the fuse bit calculator at http://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc/

# Tune the lines below only if you know what you are doing:

AVRDUDE = avrdude $(PROGRAMMER) -p $(DEVICE) -B 4
COMPILE = avr-gcc -Wall -Os -Iusbdrv -DF_CPU=$(CLOCK) -mmcu=$(DEVICE)

# symbolic targets:
all:    main.hex

.c.o:
	$(COMPILE) -c $< -o $@

.S.o:
	$(COMPILE) -x assembler-with-cpp -c $< -o $@
# "-x assembler-with-cpp" should not be necessary since this is the default
# file type for the .S (with capital S) extension. However, upper case
# characters are not always preserved on Windows. To ensure WinAVR
# compatibility define the file type manually.

.c.s:
	$(COMPILE) -S $< -o $@

flash:  all
	$(AVRDUDE) -U flash:w:main.hex:i

fuse:
	$(AVRDUDE) $(FUSES)

# Xcode uses the Makefile targets "", "clean" and "install"
install: flash fuse

# if you use a bootloader, change the command below appropriately:
load: all
	bootloadHID main.hex

clean:
	rm -f main.hex main.elf $(OBJECTS) *~

# file targets:
main.elf: $(OBJECTS)
	$(COMPILE) -o main.elf $(OBJECTS)

main.hex: main.elf
	rm -f main.hex
	avr-objcopy -j .text -j .data -O ihex main.elf main.hex
#   avr-size --format=avr --mcu=$(DEVICE) main.elf
# If you have an EEPROM section, you must also create a hex file for the
# EEPROM and add it to the "flash" target.

# Targets for code debugging and analysis:
disasm: main.elf
	avr-objdump -d main.elf

cpp:
	$(COMPILE) -E main.c

I moved your topic to an appropriate forum category @serialshinobi.

In the future, please take some time to pick the forum category that best suits the subject of your topic. There is an "About the _____ category" topic at the top of each category that explains its purpose.

This is an important part of responsible forum usage, as explained in the "How to get the best out of this forum" guide. The guide contains a lot of other useful information. Please read it.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

I don't understand. What do you call this, in the build output?:

avr-gcc -Wall -Os -Iusbdrv -DF_CPU=1000000 -mmcu=atmega328p -c main.c -o main.o

And in the Makefile:

COMPILE = avr-gcc -Wall -Os -Iusbdrv -DF_CPU=$(CLOCK) -mmcu=$(DEVICE)

(or is this NOT the makefile you think is getting used?)

avrdude can not compile a program. OTOH, a Makefile need not do a compile - I can picture a Makefile provided with a binary-only product that did programming only.

Be aware that Microchip Studio will normally show you a "error list" window after a build, and not the actual log of the commands it executed. Click on the "output" title bar to see the output.

Studio doesn't usually use makefiles, but generates the build commands "some other way." There's an option in project properties "build" panel for "use external makefile" instead.

Thanks for helping me find that avr-gcc command in the output and in the makefile.

I also learned that I can avoid the makefile altogether.

But now I will have to determine how to use my IDE.

I am planning on using a different programmer, the MKII. It is compatible with Microchip Studio so I will have to learn to get the IDE to set things like fuse values. Have more than this to learn like about using avr-gcc. Maybe I can use the author's makefile, the one using AVRdude, to see what his avr-gcc options are.