Atmel328 pro mini

I try to upload a program to the arduino and all I get is an error stating that the programmer is not responding.

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

I have tried all the boards that state 328 in the list of boards and get exactly the same results.

Suggestions please...

Have you selected the correct processor clock?
Are you using IDE 2.0 or higher?

I tried all of them.

The programmer is version 2.1.0.5+dfsg2-4 1 according to the about arduino pop up.

This is linux install and I have tried other versions of arduino but they only crash the PC.

Hi @MarkG. What are you using to interface the Pro Mini board with your computer?

FTDI 232 USB board

Can you show a diagram of how you have everything connected?

The pins are in the same order as what I used on the AT168 board.

DTR -> DTR
RXD -> TXD
TXD -> RXD
+5V -> VCC
GND -> GND

The Pro Minin board has the same programmer pins as the AT168 board.

Are you clicking on Upload or Upload using programmer?

Put it this way, I click on verify then upload using the Arduino IDE to the AT168PA board no problem, these Pro-mini which are AT328PA don't do anything other them cause an error in the IDE.

I have tried all board types in the programmer IDE and get same results regardless of what I try. Yes the COM port is correct and the boards are powered via the FTDI.

I'm getting fedup of this Arduino stuff, The IDE uploads to other boards but the moment I get a 328 chip, nada.

It is FREE software so you can't complain too much.
I'm still using 1.8.13 because I don't thing they have all the bugs worked out yet with 2

Are you sure the pro mini has the bootloader installed?

Yes because the boards came with the blink script already on them.

I have no way of installing an older version.

I downloaded the linux appImage file and it crashes the PC.

I can't use version 2 because it won't run.

I tried version 2 on my windows machine and it requires internet yet there is no internet on that machine and never will be. Again something that is a bone of contention with me where programmers do not include all components and make assumptions that we are all online with all our machines, the missing component, unless Arduino changes its stance, won't work. If they provide an offline installer for that component then I could try the IDE2 version to see if its a problem with the Linux version.

Never tried without internet active, but the downloaded installer should be able to be put on a USB as a portable installation.

The older version installer downloads:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/software/OldSoftwareReleases

You should be able to upload regardless of which version you are using, but I think it is worth mentioning that the "2:1.0.5+dfsg2-4.1" arduino aptitude package version you are using is actually far older than the 1.8.13 mentioned by jim-p. The "2:" prefix can be confusing, but this is actually the antique Arduino IDE 1.0.5 with some unspecified modifications made by the 3rd party package maintainer.

Make and Makefile whichever it is on this machine has never worked so I can't download a file and build it.

I have complained to Linux MX on their forum and their answer was to ban me from the forum, which isn't the first to take this type of action when complaining that something doesn't work.

I find that Linux devs & users are more snobby than helpful. I have experienced this from Ubuntu and Debian and several other variants that I point out things just don't work and their stock answer is to silence the person.

This version of Linux MX won't update at all despite being within the long term support period. Doing a manual force in the terminal results in a plethora of packages are not available or can't be found or it downloads the packages and won't update.

I am getting to the point I will be dumping Linux because I have tried 8 variants and got cheesed off with poor software implementations and lack of help.

That's no problem for Arduino IDE because Arduino provides it pre-built. You only need to download the file, extract it, and start Arduino IDE.

The instructions for installing Arduino IDE 1.x on a Linux machine are here:

Maybe you should re-evaluate your approach. I think there is some validity in your observation that some technical communities are not very friendly to newcomers, but if you have gotten such an extreme response on multiple occasions then it is likely part of the problem was on your end as well.

I approach a situation with a query, it gets the usual comments of "Its a PEBKAC" or an "ID10T" error and I point out that I am not a newcomer to computing and that their responses to a problem are not helping matters.

They then respond with requests for information about the system I have which has no bearing on the issue but I humor them and still get no answer.

Eventually I get told that there is no problem with the software and I get treated like I am trolling the forum or spamming it with a non existent problem and one I made up, accused of being a windoze user and the thread gets locked.

I then report the mod that locked the thread for not being helpful, I then find that mod stalks me, then I find myself with an unresolved issue and banned.

I fail to see why I am the issue when I am asking for help that isn't forthcoming.

I will give it a try. Thanks.

Thanks, your help is much appreciated, it now works uploading and I tested with a modified blink script to blink at 250ms intervals