ATSAM3X8EA-AU alternative

Hi guys,

I am just looking for some advise. I use the ATSAM3X8EA-AU on a custom PCB and a lot of the software is written using libraries specific to the Arduino due (ATSAM3X8EA-AU). My issue is that the ATSAM3X8EA-AU chip is being changed and will now have no i2C, so I would lose communication with my clock, EEPROM etc. when I use the new version of the chip.

I was wondering if anyone knew of another micro controller that could replace the ATSAM3X8EA-AU and provide all of its functionality (i2c etc) or could suggest an alternative that I could move to with that would involve the smallest amount of hardware / software changes.

Thanks in advance for the replies, I realize that this is an extremely complex question and will more than likely not have an easy answer but any advice that might point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

My issue is that the ATSAM3X8EA-AU chip is being changed and will now have no i2C,

That seems REALLY unlikely. Do you have a reference for that bit of news?

Wow, that would be too bad if this is really the case.....

I have some custom PCB's that use the Due/ATSAM3X8E and it would be extremely frustrating if Atmel decided to actually change the chip.

CyberOddity:
I use the ATSAM3X8EA-AU on a custom PCB and a lot of the software is written using libraries specific to the Arduino due (ATSAM3X8EA-AU). My issue is that the ATSAM3X8EA-AU chip is being changed and will now have no i2C,

So why are you changing it???

There are only two devices in the SAM3X series, so there is not much to choose from. There are several other Atmel SAM3 which might have similar peripherals, but you will need to create your own Arduino core variants.

You need to either

1. adopt Arduino API and libariies as priority, and then use an Arduino compatible CPU
    OR
  2. use some other chip but write all of your own support code

You can’t have both.