ATTiny10 does not work with IDE 1.8.10 or newer, only with 1.8.9 or older

I've personally tried and when I try to use ATTiny10 programming and when I click on verify or upload, I get error with IDE 1.8.12:

Arduino: 1.8.12 (Windows Store 1.8.33.0) (Windows 10), Board: "ATtiny10 (bitDuino10-arduinoTPI), 8MHz(Internal)"

c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: cannot find crtattiny10.o: No such file or directory

c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/lib\libm.a when searching for -lm

c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lm

c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0\libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc

c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lgcc

c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/lib\libm.a when searching for -lm

c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lm

c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/lib\libc.a when searching for -lc

c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lc

c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lattiny10

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

exit status 1
Error compiling for board ATtiny10 (bitDuino10-arduinoTPI).

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

(I can post verbose listing if requested)

Exact same sketch in IDE 1.8.9, used verify:

Sketch uses 520 bytes (50%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1024 bytes.
Global variables use 0 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 32 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 32 bytes.

Short and no error at all.

So what did Arduino IDE break starting with 1.8.10? And can ATTiny10 board file be modified to work with newer IDE or does IDE need to be changed to work with ATTiny10?

PS why ATTiny10? It's tiny!! It's dirt cheap as well. Prankster loves it because ATTiny10 + battery + piezo makes for cheap annoying noise generator with long sleep timer to confound victims. Insert battery and drop it in secret spots like a potted plant. And for me, it's cheaper than a 555 timer because of fewer parts and smaller PCB.

Looks like support for that part is missing from the newer compiler package? The file is present in the most recent compiler packages though? I wonder if it's looking for it in the wrong place, but I couldn't say because you didn't post the verbose output...

Where did you find a hardware package to support the t10? People ask me about that one periodically, and I was under the impression that one didn't exist... What did the author of that package say when you asked them about it?

Also, I doubt this is the problem, but why are you using the "windows app" version of the IDE? It has all sorts of weird bugs that the real version doesn't have...

I strongly suspect this isn't really a matter of IDE version, but of the Arduino AVR Boards platform version. It's likely the boards platform you're using to add support to the Arduino IDE for ATtiny10 is using whichever version of avr-gcc happens to be installed for Arduino AVR Boards.

Arduino AVR Boards comes bundled with the Arduino IDE, so the Arduino AVR Boards version is somewhat coupled to the IDE version. However, it's not really, because Boards Manager allows you to install any version of Arduino AVR Boards with any version of the Arduino IDE. You can test this by doing this:

• (Using Arduino IDE 1.8.12) Tools > Board > Boards Manager
  • Wait for the downloads to finish.
  • Click on "Arduino AVR Boards".
  • From the dropdown version menu, select "1.6.23" (this is the version bundled with Arduino IDE 1.8.9).
  • Click the "Install" button.
  • Wait for the installation to finish.
  • Click the "Close" button.
  • Try compiling for the ATtiny10 board again. Does the error still occur?

I don't mean to imply this is a solution to your problem (though you could consider it a workaround of sorts to allow you to use the modern IDE version), but this can be helpful for troubleshooting. If you identify the version of Arduino AVR Boards where the problem first starts, we can check if there was an associated change to a different compiler version, which would provide further evidence in support of DrAzzy's hypothesis.

DrAzzy:
Where did you find a hardware package to support the t10?

Not to put words in @wilykat's mouth, but I want to make sure you get an answer since I'm certain it's of interest to you, I'm guessing it's here:

DrAzzy:
Where did you find a hardware package to support the t10? People ask me about that one periodically, and I was under the impression that one didn't exist... What did the author of that package say when you asked them about it?

https://make.kosakalab.com/make/electronic-work/arduino_tpi_en/ look at step 3 for the ISP sketch and 4 for the board file.

Also, I doubt this is the problem, but why are you using the "windows app" version of the IDE? It has all sorts of weird bugs that the real version doesn't have...

When I tried to download the latest version, I was given only one option: from Microsoft store. I couldn't find stand alone zip package to download. I don't know if it's a Windows 10 quirk or something else. (update: when I used Firefox browser instead of Chrome, I found the installer and zip file directly above Windows Store link. Chrome didn't display that 2.)

pert:
I strongly suspect this isn't really a matter of IDE version, but of the Arduino AVR Boards platform version. It's likely the boards platform you're using to add support to the Arduino IDE for ATtiny10 is using whichever version of avr-gcc happens to be installed for Arduino AVR Boards.

Arduino AVR Boards comes bundled with the Arduino IDE, so the Arduino AVR Boards version is somewhat coupled to the IDE version. However, it's not really, because Boards Manager allows you to install any version of Arduino AVR Boards with any version of the Arduino IDE. You can test this by doing this:

• (Using Arduino IDE 1.8.12) Tools > Board > Boards Manager
  • Wait for the downloads to finish.
  • Click on "Arduino AVR Boards".
  • From the dropdown version menu, select "1.6.23" (this is the version bundled with Arduino IDE 1.8.9).
  • Click the "Install" button.
  • Wait for the installation to finish.
  • Click the "Close" button.
  • Try compiling for the ATtiny10 board again. Does the error still occur?

I don't mean to imply this is a solution to your problem (though you could consider it a workaround of sorts to allow you to use the modern IDE version), but this can be helpful for troubleshooting. If you identify the version of Arduino AVR Boards where the problem first starts, we can check if there was an associated change to a different compiler version, which would provide further evidence in support of DrAzzy's hypothesis.

Not to put words in @wilykat's mouth, but I want to make sure you get an answer since I'm certain it's of interest to you, I'm guessing it's here:
GitHub - kimio-kosaka/bitDuino10-arduinoTPI

I tried downgrading Arduino AVR boards to 1.6.23 and also tried 1.6.20 just in case. I still got error. Next post due to size limit of the post

Here's the verbose enabled error on verify:

Arduino: 1.8.12 (Windows Store 1.8.33.0) (Windows 10), Board: "ATtiny10 (bitDuino10-arduinoTPI), 8MHz(Internal)"

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware -hardware C:\Users\e_cha\Documents\ArduinoData\packages -hardware C:\Users\e_cha\Documents\Arduino\hardware -tools C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr -tools C:\Users\e_cha\Documents\ArduinoData\packages -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\libraries -libraries C:\Users\e_cha\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=bitDuino10-aTPI:avr:bitDuino10ar-8:clock=internal-8 -ide-version=10812 -build-path C:\Users\e_cha\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_558357 -warnings=none -build-cache C:\Users\e_cha\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_431905 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrboy.path=C:\Users\e_cha\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\bitDuino10-aTPI\tools\avrboy\1.0.1 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrboy-1.0.1.path=C:\Users\e_cha\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\bitDuino10-aTPI\tools\avrboy\1.0.1 -verbose C:\Users\e_cha\Documents\Arduino\Blink_attINY10\Blink_attINY10.ino
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware -hardware C:\Users\e_cha\Documents\ArduinoData\packages -hardware C:\Users\e_cha\Documents\Arduino\hardware -tools C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr -tools C:\Users\e_cha\Documents\ArduinoData\packages -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\libraries -libraries C:\Users\e_cha\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=bitDuino10-aTPI:avr:bitDuino10ar-8:clock=internal-8 -ide-version=10812 -build-path C:\Users\e_cha\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_558357 -warnings=none -build-cache C:\Users\e_cha\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_431905 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrboy.path=C:\Users\e_cha\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\bitDuino10-aTPI\tools\avrboy\1.0.1 -prefs=runtime.tools.avrboy-1.0.1.path=C:\Users\e_cha\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\bitDuino10-aTPI\tools\avrboy\1.0.1 -verbose C:\Users\e_cha\Documents\Arduino\Blink_attINY10\Blink_attINY10.ino
Using board 'bitDuino10ar-8' from platform in folder: C:\Users\e_cha\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\bitDuino10-aTPI\hardware\avr\1.0.0
Using core 'arduino' from platform in folder: C:\Users\e_cha\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\bitDuino10-aTPI\hardware\avr\1.0.0
Detecting libraries used...
"C:\\Program Files\\WindowsApps\\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=attiny10 -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10812 -DARDUINO_AVR_bitDuino10ar-8 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\e_cha\\Documents\\ArduinoData\\packages\\bitDuino10-aTPI\\hardware\\avr\\1.0.0\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\e_cha\\Documents\\ArduinoData\\packages\\bitDuino10-aTPI\\hardware\\avr\\1.0.0\\variants\\bitDuino10" "C:\\Users\\e_cha\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_558357\\sketch\\Blink_attINY10.ino.cpp" -o nul
Generating function prototypes...
"C:\\Program Files\\WindowsApps\\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=attiny10 -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10812 -DARDUINO_AVR_bitDuino10ar-8 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\e_cha\\Documents\\ArduinoData\\packages\\bitDuino10-aTPI\\hardware\\avr\\1.0.0\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\e_cha\\Documents\\ArduinoData\\packages\\bitDuino10-aTPI\\hardware\\avr\\1.0.0\\variants\\bitDuino10" "C:\\Users\\e_cha\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_558357\\sketch\\Blink_attINY10.ino.cpp" -o "C:\\Users\\e_cha\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_558357\\preproc\\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"
"C:\\Program Files\\WindowsApps\\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\\tools-builder\\ctags\\5.8-arduino11/ctags" -u --language-force=c++ -f - --c++-kinds=svpf --fields=KSTtzns --line-directives "C:\\Users\\e_cha\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_558357\\preproc\\ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp"
Compiling sketch...
"C:\\Program Files\\WindowsApps\\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -w -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -MMD -mmcu=attiny10 -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10812 -DARDUINO_AVR_bitDuino10ar-8 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR "-IC:\\Users\\e_cha\\Documents\\ArduinoData\\packages\\bitDuino10-aTPI\\hardware\\avr\\1.0.0\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\e_cha\\Documents\\ArduinoData\\packages\\bitDuino10-aTPI\\hardware\\avr\\1.0.0\\variants\\bitDuino10" "C:\\Users\\e_cha\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_558357\\sketch\\Blink_attINY10.ino.cpp" -o "C:\\Users\\e_cha\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_558357\\sketch\\Blink_attINY10.ino.cpp.o"
Compiling libraries...
Compiling core...
Using precompiled core: C:\Users\e_cha\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_431905\core\core_bitDuino10-aTPI_avr_bitDuino10ar-8_clock_internal-8_ba5778e52160fbcbe6727aa8ef41ff2a.a
Linking everything together...
"C:\\Program Files\\WindowsApps\\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\\hardware\\tools\\avr/bin/avr-gcc" -w -Os -Wl,--gc-sections -mmcu=attiny10 -o "C:\\Users\\e_cha\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_558357/Blink_attINY10.ino.elf" "C:\\Users\\e_cha\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_558357\\sketch\\Blink_attINY10.ino.cpp.o" "C:\\Users\\e_cha\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_558357/..\\arduino_cache_431905\\core\\core_bitDuino10-aTPI_avr_bitDuino10ar-8_clock_internal-8_ba5778e52160fbcbe6727aa8ef41ff2a.a" "-LC:\\Users\\e_cha\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_558357" -lm
c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: cannot find crtattiny10.o: No such file or directory

cont...

c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0\libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc

c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lgcc

c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/lib\libc.a when searching for -lc

c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lc

c:/program files/windowsapps/arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.33.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/7.3.0/../../../../avr/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lattiny10

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

exit status 1
Error compiling for board ATtiny10 (bitDuino10-arduinoTPI).