Bad performance when controlling Linear Actuator using motor controller (via PWM

Hi all,

The last few days i have been tinkering with a linear actuator for a system that will raise and lower a cleaning head above a surface depending on the height of the surface. I am using a IR sensor which is linked to an arduino which uses a PWM signal to send a setpoint to a motor controller which drives a linear actuator. This is the stuff i am using:

Arduino UNO (powered from my pc)

Industrial devices IDM3 actuator (the option with build in potentiometer) (datasheet IDM3 actuator)

A DC power supply (variable voltage up to 24 V)

Some jumper wire

A actuonix Linear Actuator Controller (LAC datasheet 1)(LAC datasheet 2)

USB cables

The problem is that the linear actuator performance is very poor when controlled using the PWM. It has poor reproduciblity (+ - 5 mm) and also shows hunting (moving back and forth) and is “jittering”.

However the LAC i am using also has an option to control the board and actuator using a usb interface and a program on the PC. This program is also capable of changing some internal settings on the board (like Kp values and limits etc.). When using the PC and USB to control the actuator it works much better and doesn’t show any of the problems the PWM control shows.

I think it might be a problem with my PWM signal (since it should be 3.3v but is 5v since the documentation says it should be 5v compliant).

I attached a picture of my wiring

And this is the code I am using to test the setup

const int analogInPin = A1;  // Analog input pin that the potentiometer is attached to
int pos = 170;//0 to 255
int minp = 100;
int maxp = 250;
int inc =  1;

void setup() {
  // initialize serial communications at 9600 bps:
  Serial.begin(115200);

}

void loop() {
  // read the analog in value:
  int val = analogRead(analogInPin);
  //
  //
  //
      if (Serial.available() > 0) {
        int key = Serial.read();

if (key == 113){ // letter q
          pos = pos + 10;
            analogWrite(5,pos);
          Serial.println(pos);
        }

if (key == 101){ // letter e
          pos = pos - 10;
            analogWrite(5,pos);
          Serial.println(pos);
        }
      }
}

Do you guys think it would be worth it for stability to change to a 3.3V signal (I could do it but would have to order some parts)?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Teunman

teunman:
Do you guys think it would be worth it for stability to change to a 3.3V signal...

Not really. The Arduino can output a pseudo-analog voltage using PWM. The range in the code that the analogWrite() command can use is 0-255. That means that there are 256 "analog" voltage values that the output can provide. If you took the total possible travel distance of the actuator and divided it by 256, I imagine you would get something close to the 5mm you mentioned. The computer is most likely controlling a PWM generator on the LAC board that has a higher resolution than the Arduino has, which results in more accuracy and more possible positions.

One possible reason for the "jitter" is that the desired position is inbetween two PWM spots, and the Arduino can't go between the two, and continuously jumps between the position directly below and directly above the desired spot.

3.3V logic (using an Arduino) may be more efficient. Since there are still only 256 possible analog voltage points, but a smaller range, each range is smaller and can result in a smaller increase/decrease in position.

Hi Bos,

The actuator only has a stroke of 50 mm, so the resolution of the arduino pwm should be able to get better results than 5mm right?

One possible reason for the "jitter" is that the desired position is inbetween two PWM spots, and the Arduino can't go between the two, and continuously jumps between the position directly below and directly above the desired spot.

Im not sure what you mean by that. I send a PWM signal from my arduino to the board and the board reads this as a percentage of extension and controls the actuator by sending it a voltage and reading the potentiometer. So what would be the desired position you mention?

Would just using a voltage divider made from some resistor be sufficient to go down to 3.3v or would I need a logic level shifter?

Thanks for the help.

teunman:
The actuator only has a stroke of 50 mm, so the resolution of the arduino pwm should be able to get better results than 5mm right?

It would make sense that that each PWM value from the Arduino would result in increments far smaller than 5mm.

teunman:
Im not sure what you mean by that. I send a PWM signal from my arduino to the board and the board reads this as a percentage of extension and controls the actuator by sending it a voltage and reading the potentiometer. So what would be the desired position you mention?

Since my original hypothesis about the total stroke is wrong, please disregard my gibberish there.

teunman:
Would just using a voltage divider made from some resistor be sufficient to go down to 3.3v or would I need a logic level shifter?

Since we are just looking for high/low values (from the PWM) either should be okay. Keep in mind that the PWM frequency of the Arduino is 1.2kHz, so the total period of each high-low pulse is 833 microseconds. It you decide to go with a level shifter, make sure it can handle quick transitions by looking in the datasheet for whatever shifter you find.

What is the stall current of the actuator, and the maximum current provided by the actuator power supply?

Can the actuator driver handle the stall current?

max stall current of actuator is 2.2 A, max current the board can handle is 4 A. So that shouldnt be a problem. might pick up some resistors over the weekend and have a fiddle with that.

You might do better sensing and controlling the down force on the end effector.

How would that give me better control of the actuator. The problem is that even when i give it a fixed setpoint it is not very smooth and repeatble

What actuator are we talking about? Link to relevant hardware datasheets please, this is a prerequisit !

Hi,

if (key == 113){ // letter q
          pos = pos + 10;
            analogWrite(5,pos);
          Serial.println(pos);
        }

if (key == 101){ // letter e
          pos = pos - 10;
            analogWrite(5,pos);
          Serial.println(pos);
        }
      }
}

You seem to be adjusting your position in 10 out of 255 steps, have you tried smaller steps like 5?

You are not using feedback, so how do you expect to get accurate positioning?
That is what a feedback loop is for.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Hi Tom,

Yup I have tried smaller steps. But even then the same behavior applies. Also when i just set the position to say "180" then move it around a bit and then set it to "180" again it does not go to the same position (off by like 5-10 mm). And there is feedback, but this is all done on the side of the motor controller (which has a PD controller). I could use the USB interface to change Kp and Kd values for this controller, however when i just use the USB to set the position it always goes there smoothly and is very repeatable (error of less then 1 mm), which leads me to believe that the standard settings are okay, but that there is something wrong with my pwm signal.

Regards,
Teunman

Hi,
Can you post link to the spacs/manual for the actuator controller.
The image shows four trim pots, what do they do?

Usually they control accel, decell, max and min speed.

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

Hi,
I found spec and info, have you looked at the video?

https://www.actuonix.com/LAC-Board-p/lac.htm
controlspecs.jpg

Tom… :slight_smile:

Hi,
Have you adjusted the dead band/sensitivity?
controlspecs1.jpg

Tom… :slight_smile:

Hi Tom,

Yeah i have looked at the datasheets. (just realized that the links are broken in the first post, I will fix that).

I have tried playing with the sensitivity a bit, but by the time it starts to make my actuator move smoothly it is too insensitive to perform (it only moves if the setpoint is like 2 cm away, which is a bit far).

Regards,
Teunman

Hi,
The manual says that the PWM is 3.3V, but it is 5V tolerant with reduced performance.

It might be worth making a voltage divider on the Arduino output to drop the PWM magnitude from 5V to 3.3V.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

Hi,
What PWM pins are you using on the UNO.
pins 5 and 6 are 980Hz, which is close to the recommended 1Khz PWM for the controller.

Tom.. :slight_smile:

Hi Tom,

I am indeed using pin 5 and im guessing 20Hz shouldn't make that much difference. The voltage divider is indeed something I was considering. Theoretically it shouldn't make a difference but i will try and see.

Thanks,