basic help for avrdude verification error; content mismatch

My son and I have just taken our arduino uno "Arduino Starter Kit" out of the box. we tried to hook it up to our Mac computer and download the basic programs such as blink. We are consistently getting this message:

Build options changed, rebuilding all Sketch uses 928 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes. Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes. avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000 0x9c != 0x0c avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

I have checked to make sure the Mac is up to date, the IDE version is 1.8.5, the Arduino model is Arduino UNO as reported by Get Board Info in the IDE. The , the path to the usb port is correct. We have spent hours trying to get it to work. Any advice would be welcome. I am about to purchase another Arduino to see if this one might be defective but would rather not spend the money if I can solve this puzzle.

Avrdude verification error; content mismatch is a tough one when you are just getting started.

This problem doesn't seem to have a definite solution in all cases. It has been solved quite a few times though by reloading the bootloader.

You might be better off returning it for a replacement.

If it was me, I would get another Arduino and use it as Arduino as ISP to reload the bootloader on the original.

I would also get a cheap/or three Usbasp programmers with a 10 pin to 6 pin converter.

Do a little googling and it is fairly easy to do with either the Arduino or the Usbasp.

Good Luck.

try a better USB cable

kprims: Avrdude verification error; content mismatch is a tough one when you are just getting started.

This problem doesn't seem to have a definite solution in all cases. It has been solved quite a few times though by reloading the bootloader.

You might be better off returning it for a replacement.

If it was me, I would get another Arduino and use it as Arduino as ISP to reload the bootloader on the original.

I would also get a cheap/or three Usbasp programmers with a 10 pin to 6 pin converter.

Do a little googling and it is fairly easy to do with either the Arduino or the Usbasp.

Good Luck.

Thank you, that seems to be the best bet.