Battery powered DC lab bench power supply controlled by arduion

I always want to have those huge bench power supply with adjustable voltage of 1-30V and current of 0-5 amp, but they are too expensive and too bulky to me, and so I have always wanted to build one by myself. I think 1-20V @ around 1.5 amp is all that I need.

I have tried many times, burned 2 nano boards, 1 min pro board and some dollar components, and spent more than 2 weeks getting nowhere. The attached photo is one of them.

Any tips will be great!

you could use http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1639075.pdf Ic for application

Since controller require few mA current , SO i don't think you must use high rated regulator. I would like to interface your microcontroller . Can u share us simple connection diagram of interface.

Hi,

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit?

So we can see if we can help you to keep your arduinos alive.

Tom.... :)

AMPS-N: you could use http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1639075.pdf Ic for application

Since controller require few mA current , SO i don't think you must use high rated regulator. I would like to interface your microcontroller . Can u share us simple connection diagram of interface.

I have bought some mini booster/buck modules, hacked them, and build my power supply based on that. This is easier for me.

For that failed project shown in the picture; Basically, it consists a hacked 5v mini lithium portable supply circuit for powering my arduino and recharge my lithium battery ; the main board with arduino nano brain, a digital pot for controlling the voltage of the booster, a 5W resistor for measuring the current, a temp resistor for high temp shut down and some wires for 3 buttons, 2 control pins for PWM for control the current, few pins for the LCD. On the left, are a heat-sink with the booster/buck modules with 1 NPN, and 1 Mosfet; I don't have the diagram that I draw on a paper anymore. It didn't work because some how the digital pot burned down by the high voltage of the booster for no reason, 10K digital pot, only 40V max output.

Take a look how people go around the voltage limit of the digital pot. Building a Small Programmable Power Supply using LM2596

Hi,

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit?

So we can see if we can help you to keep your arduinos alive.

Please.......................

Tom...... :)

I have bought some mini booster/buck modules, hacked them, and build my power supply based on that

I noticed that you had one of those buck regulators in your photo, but I wasn't sure if it was to power the Arduino or drive the output.

I've noticed that the buck regulator modules that they sell on eBay which they claim will deliver 2A

Output current:Rated current is 2A,maximum 3A(Additional heatsink is required)

Will only sustain about 1Amp before they overheat and are destroyed.

The Ad seems to imply they will deliver 2A and need a heatsink for 3A but that is not correct.

I've not looked at the spec of the main IC on the board, but I'd suggest that either you remove it and put it on a separate heat sink, or just get a higher powered module

Never trust the specs on eBay, most things are grossly over rated

the easiest and cheapest way for me was to use a PC power supply and match it up with one of these :-http://www.banggood.com/DC-LED-Digital-Controlled-Step-Down-Driver-Power-Module-p-910096.html

at $12 i doubt you can buy the parts as cheap

you get 4 buttons to set it up with and there are several pre sets plus any others you want to use it even remembers where you were when you last used it and starts there as soon as you press the ok button.

regards Poppy Ann.