I use arduino for a lot of projects and I have seen a lot of microcontrollers,
at the end of the day I always choose the Lolin D1 Mini Lite v3.1 based on the ESP8266.
This controller is super duper awesome.
You can find cheap clones for less than 1 dollar, but the good one, the genuine premium one from Lolin costs 3 dollars.
With 3 dollars you have:
- ESP8266 with 4MB flash very useful for OTA upload
- one of the smallest footprint you can have but with the difference that you have tons of pins and microusb connection
- 11 digital input/output pins, all pins have interrupt/pwm/I2C/one-wire supported(except D0)
- 1 analog input(3.2V max input)
- a Micro USB connection
- Compatible with MicroPython, Arduino, nodemcu
- tons of shields available
I tried some cheap clones and they are not that good (not so precise with digital pins output voltage)
but for 3 dollars you can get the premium genuine one from Lolin
I used this board for RGB led strips, for stepper motors (it can power 5V stepper motor directly), for OLED I2C displays, water pumps, PIR sensors, ambient sensors and so much other thigns.
This boards deliver, you want to do something? It deliver.
So why choose something else?
If you need more power like the ESP32 ok, but why choose something else in other cases?
Is there any sense in choosing something different? WiFi is a must have for the answer. We are talking about microcontrollers for iot.
A lot of people who love ESP8266 already chooses NodeMCU board but why?
This is so much better.
Please share your toughts.