Best Way to Split 5V Source?

Hello everyone,

Within my current project I am working on, I have 6 microswitches. All of these switches need to receive power, somehow. My problem is, I only have a single 5V line, coming from the Arduino. I need a way to split that 5V line to all the switches. Should I splice into the 5V line 6 ways, that'd be pretty messy. Or would it be a better option to take the 5V line, and run it to every switch terminal in series?

Just need a little advice, would running the 5V line from switch terminal to switch terminal work?

Or would it be a better option to take the 5V line, and run it to every switch terminal in series?

I suspect that would be the case. However I recommend you attempt to draw out the complete circuit including the wiring to the arduino and post it here, to make sure you aren't doing something....special. :wink:

Excuse the messyness, it is 3:30am :slight_smile: Basically, all common terminals wired together on the same 5V line, NO terminals go to their respective digital input pins.

Yay or nay?

Seems fine - if the switches are being used to control inputs on the Arduino you will need pull-down resistors too, BTW

Or make that 5V a ground and enable the internal pull up resistors. That is a much better way to input to an arduino.

IUNIXI:
http://oi41.tinypic.com/72angm.jpg

Excuse the messyness, it is 3:30am :slight_smile: Basically, all common terminals wired together on the same 5V line, NO terminals go to their respective digital input pins.

Yay or nay?

Yah, but only if you wire a pull-down resistor between every input pin your wiring to and ground to prevent 'floating input pin' condition when the switches are not being pressed. As GM said a cheap easier way is to make the switch common wire to ground and enable the internal pull-up on each input pin used. Then if the pin reads a low the switch is being pressed, otherwise if will read a high if not pressed.

Lefty

I'm trying to avoid using a common ground between the switches, honestly. I'm working on replacing a system in which bad grounding issues are far too common, which is why I'm trying to avoid using a common ground.

Currently on the prototype, I do have pull-down resistors on each input pin, and every switch COM terminal is wired into the 5V power rail on my breadboard. On my final design draft, the pull-down resistors are also included. So I'm just trying to figure out the least messy way to distribute power to every switch. Terminal block perhaps?

I'm working on replacing a system in which bad grounding issues are far too common

Mistake.
Fix the problem instead.

Grumpy_Mike:

I'm working on replacing a system in which bad grounding issues are far too common

Mistake.
Fix the problem instead.

Bad grounds are a minor part of the problem. The system is 40+ years old, reliability is awful, and the wiring has been messed with by so many different people over the years that replacing it is the only option. The current system isn't even manufactured anymore, and nobody can repair the control panels anymore.

Fixing the problem at this point means replacing it entirely.