Bluetooth and Wifi

Hello,

I'm new to this, so bare with me, but I'm looking for some guidance from any of you experts out there. So, I have 2 Uno's, 2 SeeedStudio BT Shields and 1 Arduino Wifi Shield. My goal is to read analog sensor output (for the time being I'm just using a potentiometer as a place holder for the sensor) with one Uno working as a slave BT device, send that output via BT from the slave Uno to a Master Uno and then have the Master Uno relay that output, via wifi, to a datalogging site, like the WifiPachubeClient example. I can get all this working individually but putting it all together to work as specified is my issue. Considering I haven't posted any code, I'm not looking for precise answers. I'm just looking for someone to let me know if this is feasible, which I'm sure it is, and then maybe point me in the right direction. I will update this as I continue to develop, but any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

No comment on the WiFi. I assume you are just doing that for the intellectual exercise, in view of the fact that you already own the shield, while one would expect a principle reason for using a master slave Arduino setup would to avoid WiFi in the first place. Needless to say, the intellectual exercise could equally be the other way round, but at least I can comment on the bluetooth.

In the matter of slave to master communication by bluetooth. I considered this for the same purpose and I don't think it is a good idea. It is certainly a grey area.

Firstly, I raised the topic on this forum a couple of months ago "arduino to Arduino via bluetooth", and it was studiously ignored.

Secondly, the useful range of the bluetooth is very limited. I believe the prospects are considerably better using 2.4 GHz devices like the nrf24, and the costs are similar, i.e. a pittance. Now the cheapo NRF24 isn't famous for its range either, but it is better than the average bluetooth, and there are high power versions available for about $12.

send that output via BT from the slave Uno to a Master Uno and then have the Master Uno relay that output, via wifi, to a datalogging site, like the WifiPachubeClient

This is feasible but it is via WiFi and local router to the internet. Check out the situation at cosm. I only mention this because you use the word Pachube, which is essentially a dead term, and make sure you use the latest cosm libraries.

Using two Unos as you describe is probabaly OK but, if you are going to to get serious about datalogging to the internet, be aware that you will probably find a Uno inadequate for the master unit, and will require a Mega for its extra memory.