BreadBoard Power Supply Issue

I bought two power supplies from Amazon to power my breadboard. Picture is attached. Weird things are happening. My 5v wall wart is putting out 7.99 volts. When I insert the barrel plug into the board, the 5 volt pins (all of them) are measuring 10.1 volts. WHAT?????? The strange thing is that both power supplies I bought, do exactly the same thing. Several questions arise; Am I mssing something?? How in the hell is the voltage increasing? Isn't the board suppose to limit the voltage to 5 volts on the 5 volt pins? The 3.3 volts pins measure 3.3 volts. If I power the board with the USB, the 5v pins are at 5v, and the 3.3v pins are at 3.3v. Any thoughts besides, the boards are bad??

chief400:
I bought two power supplies from Amazon to power my breadboard. Picture is attached. Weird things are happening. My 5v wall wart is putting out 7.99 volts. When I insert the barrel plug into the board, the 5 volt pins (all of them) are measuring 10.1 volts. WHAT?????? The strange thing is that both power supplies I bought, do exactly the same thing. Several questions arise; Am I mssing something?? How in the hell is the voltage increasing? Isn't the board suppose to limit the voltage to 5 volts on the 5 volt pins? The 3.3 volts pins measure 3.3 volts. If I power the board with the USB, the 5v pins are at 5v, and the 3.3v pins are at 3.3v. Any thoughts besides, the boards are bad??

When I saw you had included apicture, I was hoping it was a schematic or at least a block diagram showing how and what you have connected to what.

What are you using to get your measurements? Without a load, I am not surprised at your wall wart voltage. What is the voltage when the rated load is applied? TRy a different meter to do the measurements.

Paul

I posted your image with img tags.

HW-131 looks to be two simple linear regulators to take ~6.5V DC down to 5V and 3.3V.

Are the wallwarts putting out DC, or AC?

The wall wart is a 5v dc 300ma. I Attached the schematic for what it is worth. When I placed a small laser moule on the 5v pins, the multimeter is indicating 7.99v. So, It appears the 7.99 volts coming from the wall wart it being passed to the output pins on the breadboard ps. Like it is not limiting the voltage at all.

chief400:
The wall wart is a 5v dc 300ma. I Attached the schematic for what it is worth. When I placed a small laser moule on the 5v pins, the multimeter is indicating 7.99v.

If the 5v wall wart is producing 7.99v then throw it in the trash and get one that works properly.

...R

chief400:
The wall wart is a 5v dc 300ma.

the multimeter is indicating 7.99v. So, It appears the 7.99 volts coming from the wall wart it being passed to the output pins on the breadboard ps.

You are 'saying' your 5V walllywarts is producing 7.5V, even after being loaded, and the 5V regulator on the module is not working, correct?

Seems to be a garbage in garbage out issue?

Also, the 5V regulator on the breadboard module, will not, all that well, regulate 5V in.

I found out that if the ground on the ams1117 is not soldered well, that it will allow the full voltage through. That is what it is doing, so I'm going to say these are trash and send them back. I'm finished with it. Thanks to all for your imput.

chief400:
I found out that if the ground on the ams1117 is not soldered well, that it will allow the full voltage through. That is what it is doing, so I'm going to say these are trash and send them back. I'm finished with it. Thanks to all for your imput.

Looks like that would do it as the "gnd" is actually the voltage adjust pin when there is a resistor between it and the circuit ground. Cold solder joint could be a high resistance. Therefore your problem. Common problem with lead-free solder. Insufficient heat.

Good job being a detective!

Can you please modify the title of your thread and add the words "solved" to it so others will quickly zero in on the problem?

Paul