Bricked Arduino Uno R3

Hi everyone,

I have somehow managed to brick (for lack of a better term) two Arduino R3s in the exact same manner. Prior to the bricking, I uploaded programs to each of them at least fifty times, on both Linux (via a laptop) and Windows (via a desktop). Each time the bricking occurred while uploading from the Linux laptop, so maybe something to do with not enough USB power? The last one I bricked had DC in connected as well (to power an RGB LED strip via VIN).

After bricking, the Arduinos were no longer recognized by either operation system, and the bootloader LED (13) does not light up at all. (The power LEDs do indicate they have power.)

Suspecting their bootloader, I was successfully able to flash the bootloader using another Uno R3 (following the "Arduino as ISP" procedure). However, they still didn't boot.

My next idea was that I had somehow damaged the Atmega328P chips. So, I took a good Atmega328P from a working Uno R3, installed it in the bad ones - and they didn't boot! Then I took the 328Ps from the bricked Arduinos and tried them in the working Uno R3 - and they booted fine.

So, it appears something other than the 328P chip is broken. Do I have any options at this point?

Thanks much!

What hardware was connected (and how) at the time the boards failed?

What did the loopback test show?

[quote author=James C4S link=topic=138809.msg1042706#msg1042706 date=1356295491] What hardware was connected (and how) at the time the boards failed? [/quote] Basically this: http://learn.adafruit.com/rgb-led-strips/usage Plus a PIR motion sensor and photocell. The hardware setup didn't change at all; it worked fine on both the R3 boards, and is currently working fine on a non-bricked R3. When the first one was bricked, I assumed I must've crossed a wire or something, but after that I was even more careful than usual.

[quote author=Nick Gammon link=topic=138809.msg1042734#msg1042734 date=1356297278] What did the loopback test show? [/quote] Nothing was echoed back at all.

Please stop using the term "bricked", it really has little meaning in this context of an Arduino. The term you're looking for is "damaged." Plus, since many people who come to these forums don't speak English as a first language, they'll be confused what cement has to do with Arduino.

If loopback is failing with the ATmega328 removed and the Power LED Is on, then your USB-to-Serial chip is damaged.

DrinkyCrow: When the first one was brickeddamaged, I assumed I must've crossed a wire or something, but after that I was even more careful than usual.

Just to verify, you weren't changing connections while powered, right? Because if you were, then all bets are off.

If loopback is failing with the ATmega328 removed and the Power LED Is on, then your USB-to-Serial chip is damaged.

Can anything be done with software, or do I need to replace the 16U2?

Just to verify, you weren't changing connections while powered, right? Because if you were, then all bets are off.

No; as I said, both times it occurred when uploading programs.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Any theories on how could this have happened, so it can be avoided in the future?

If you have damaged the 16U2 you could still use the Arduino either by connecting via Serial (to pins D0 and D1, Gnd, Reset, +5V) using an FTDI cable.

Or you could program using ICSP (with an ICSP programmer, for example another Arduino).

It seems odd to me that the chip is being damaged during uploading, that wouldn't normally happen.

Hi,
sorry for putting this old thread back to the surface, but similar things happened to me…
One time with an Uno, on time with a Nano…

So, when using serial or FTDI, which programmer do I have to use in the IDE??

Additionally, which pins can be used at the Nano?
Is there any chocie to check if the Uart is broken or not ?

Regs, Onkelhotte