Build 1.66 includes a Serial plotter without instructions

Does anyone have a link to instructions for the plotter included in the latest hourly build V1.66?

Just upload a sketch that prints numbers to serial and then open the serial plotter and make sure the baud setting matches the value you set in Serial.begin().

I had already got it to scroll numeric data in a single graph line across the screen.

I also worked out that sending
Serial.println(0);Serial.println(1024);
at the start, preset the vertical axis range. (otherwise it changes dynamically)

The 1024 value was rounded up slightly by the application.

I have no doubt that there will be other hidden options.

I wrote a little (unofficial!) introduction to the Plotter, based on my experiments with it so far. It really is a nice addition to the IDE.
http://www.idogendel.com/en/archives/489
I'll try to dig into the source code as soon as possible, to see if I can find any cool tricks there.

It might be of interest that there is currently a proposal for a more advanced version of this feature: Added functionality to plot multiple signals at the same time by henningpohl · Pull Request #4022 · arduino/Arduino · GitHub. They are requesting testing and feedback.

@igendel; it’s not just a nice addition, it’s the biggest one I can think of.
The Serial plotter is a great improvement to the IDE.
I was not the one who proposed this option but I am very thankful for adding it.
Up to yesterday, whenever I needed graphical output I used to define a string of some 60 characters
and inserted a “*” at the position to be plotted just as we did it 50 years ago with the
so-called high speed printers connected to our mainframes with the zig-zag-folded endless paper.
To get the graph in the upright position I had to press “alt”+“ctrl”+“left-arrow”
in order to rotate the orientation of the screen.
(But using the mouse in that mode is a mess.)
And you must not forget to press “alt”+“ctrl”+“up-arrow” afterwards.
I had no autoscaling, but was able to insert tickmarks in the time axis.
So, with the new feature all the existing Arduino literature has to be rewritten!

Hidden options?
Well, I expect to find a button for the Serial plotter next to the one for the Serial monitor in the next version of the IDE.
Also it would be nice to have button to disable autoscaling, a multi-channel plotter and some tickmarks.
For the missing tickmarks I found this workaround:
at certain times (e.g. every 0.01 second) send the value “0” instead of the actual sample value.
It does not look very nice, but it enables you to analyze the signal.
The screenshot I appended shows the input of an open A0 line getting the mains humming,
and you can easily determine I live in the 50-Hertz-area.

tickmarks2.png

Klausj:
@igendel; it's not just a nice addition, it's the biggest one I can think of.
The Serial plotter is a great improvement to the IDE.

I like the concept a lot; my reserves have to do with the very limited usability. On the other hand, the direction of the current improvement suggestions also seems problematic - they will probably make the plotter too cumbersome to use. This kind of addition to the IDE deserves serious and careful planning.

I uploaded a short video about the plotter and some uses for it ( Using The Arduino Serial Plotter - YouTube )

Klausj:
I used to define a string of some 60 characters
and inserted a "*" at the position to be plotted just as we did it 50 years ago with the
so-called high speed printers connected to our mainframes with the zig-zag-folded endless paper.

Classicist! :slight_smile: I wasn't around when these mainframes were in wide use, but when I was a child, a relative used to bring me piles of endless paper to draw on - it had some endless debugging output printed on one side, I guess no one ever actually read or needed it :slight_smile:

igendel:
the direction of the current improvement suggestions also seems problematic - they will probably make the plotter too cumbersome to use. This kind of addition to the IDE deserves serious and careful planning.

Now's your best chance to help make sure that doesn't happen. Much easier to make changes while it's still under development and discussion than after it's been merged.

pert:
Now's your best chance to help make sure that doesn't happen. Much easier to make changes while it's still under development and discussion than after it's been merged.

That is also true... but I need to do some thinking on my own first - I'd hate to just throw more half-baked ideas into the pile :wink:

The discussion of the implementation of new features in the Serial Plotter is continued here: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=357788