Bumping and Spamming

Can you please disable the frustrating bump block. 3 times this week I've tried to post answers to open questions and been blocked because the topic is "old". I get that this makes anti-spam easier, but, there is no such thing as "old" on the internet. There's this thing, it's called "Google", ...

Seriously - please - you've done it to me 3 times now, so you must be doing it thousands and thousands of times per day to everyone else as well - that's an ENORMOUS amount of brains trust that you're shooting down in flames.

Please get rid of that. Topics, no matter how old, are always useful to people solving problems today - no matter how many days ago the topic got opened. And, as we all know, as time marches on, new solutions, better drivers, and more experts with improves solutions always turn up.

LET US SHARE OUR KNOWLEDGE !!!!

Whoa whoa calm down!!

cndg: Topics, no matter how old, are always useful to people solving problems today - no matter how many days ago the topic got opened. And, as we all know, as time marches on, new solutions, better drivers, and more experts with improves solutions always turn up.

Yes they are that's why you can ask a mod to bump the topic if you want to continue with the thread. The 120 day lock thread is for mainly preventing spam ( if you meant that? )...And you can always read the threads as if they are old they are mostly solved...

cndg: Can you please disable the frustrating bump block. 3 times this week I've tried to post answers to open questions and been blocked because the topic is "old". I get that this makes anti-spam easier, but, there is no such thing as "old" on the internet. There's this thing, it's called "Google", ...

See this thread for more detail about this topic...

cndg: LET US SHARE OUR KNOWLEDGE !!!!

I don't see how we are not doing that...?

cndg: Can you please disable the frustrating bump block. 3 times this week I've tried to post answers to open questions and been blocked because the topic is "old".

If you mean that you tried to add to a Thread which had seen no activity for 120 days then, IMHO it would be a complete waste of time adding more to it.

If you want to ask a question to which the old Thread seems relevant then I suggest you start a new Thread in which you describe your problem and include a link to the older Thread.

...R

Threads can be unlocked if so required.

So far I have found that even after unlocking then the person requesting simply does not reply in a timely manner.

That wastes my time and no doubt other moderators time. 120 days was not chosen arbitrarily. It was chosen to match the previous 120 day time span warning. The amount of 120 day posts that get useful additions is miniscule.

I have had on one occasion a SPAM for an unlocked request so my advice is that is you really really want to post to an old thread that needs to be unlocked then have your reply READY TO GO.

The total lock feature was introduced for a few reasons.

1. Reduce under the radar SPAM
  2. Remove NECRO posts and force users to think rather than try resurrect a years old thread where the OP of that thread may not even be a member any more.
  3. Save moderators the task of splitting off non relevant posts from what turns out to be a hijack.
  4. Aid forum topic flow overall.

Oh and in terms of REAL SPAMMING it has undoubtedly forced spammers to the top which benefits everyone as they get dealt with in a more efficient and timely manner.

This is the first complaint since it was introduced so from a personal POV I am not worried. 1 in over 10,000+ posts I can live with.

Topics, no matter how old, are always useful to people solving problems today - no matter how many days ago the topic got opened. And, as we all know, as time marches on, new solutions, better drivers, and more experts with improves solutions always turn up.

No. Topics can get outdated. But more important: Topics were opened by people to solve a specific problem. Their problem. If a topic wasn't touched 120 days by the topic opener it is very unlikely that he/she will come back to your answer. He/she might even not see the answer. Therefore let old posts rest in silence.

1. Remove NECRO posts and force users to think rather than try resurrect a years old thread where the OP of that thread may not even be a member any more.

100% agree. It will encourage people to open their OWN, SPECIFIC topic, containing THEIR sketch. Not just a "I have the same problem, can you help me pls".

noiasca: It will encourage people to open their OWN, SPECIFIC topic, containing THEIR sketch. Not just a "I have the same problem, can you help me pls".

+1

noiasca: 100% agree. It will encourage people to open their OWN, SPECIFIC topic, containing THEIR sketch. Not just a "I have the same problem, can you help me pls".

Or you get people that state that "they are using a sketch similar to the one in [link here]" :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

We seem to have lost the OP.

...R

Robin2: We seem to have lost the OP.

...R

We have to stop doing that.... Anyone see where they went ? Send out the official search team...Do we have one of those ?

|500x375

ballscrewbob: We have to stop doing that....

I was thinking more along the lines of locking the Thread :)

...R

I wanted to reply to a thread of a similar title here and it has been locked.

Is it now generally the case that there is a hard lock on old posts ( >120 days ) ? I've just done one quick test and it appears there is no hard lock, but I'm not sure if my test was representative.

Anyway, a hard lock would definitely not suit the model of the exhibition gallery where there are sometimes schematics, code and build instructions etc. These have a much longer lifetime that the treads started with classic new user type problems which, I guess, was the main issue of the original thread.

If it is the case, I have to think about where I publish these in the future. At least one of my threads was active over a period of nearly 2 years. Some others, which I have just looked at, have been active for well over 6 years.

120 days since the most recent reply is what triggers the lock.

You will have seen the reasons why the automatic lock was introduced

The total lock feature was introduced for a few reasons.

1. Reduce under the radar SPAM
  2. Remove NECRO posts and force users to think rather than try resurrect a years old thread where the OP of that thread may not even be a member any more.
  3. Save moderators the task of splitting off non relevant posts from what turns out to be a hijack.
  4. Aid forum topic flow overall.

Oh and in terms of REAL SPAMMING it has undoubtedly forced spammers to the top which benefits everyone as they get dealt with in a more efficient and timely manner.

and it seems to have been effective in meeting these objectives

If you want a thread opened that has been automatically closed then just report it to a moderator and it will be done

UKHeliBob: it has undoubtedly forced spammers to the top

What does "forced to the top" mean?

6v6gt: I wanted to reply to a thread of a similar title here and it has been locked.

It does not seem that your issue has anything to do with bumping or spamming so perhaps you could choose a more appropriate Title - for example "Locking Exhibition Gallery posts after 120 days is inconvenient"

...R

pert: What does "forced to the top" mean?

You will have to ask BSB as he wrote the original in https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=712519.0

I suspect that he meant that instead of spam being at the end of a long thread it would be posted in a new thread more often and hence the at the start (top) of the thread rather than buried at the end

UKHeliBob:
You will have seen the reasons why the automatic lock was introducedand it seems to have been effective in meeting these objectives

If you want a thread opened that has been automatically closed then just report it to a moderator and it will be done

If indeed there is now a hard lock, then I don’t doubt there are reasons why it was introduced. However, I have pointed out that there is a negative side which may not have been fully considered. A new user who joins the forum simply to respond to something in the exhibition gallery may not then think about requesting that a moderator reopens the thread.
Anyway, there are plenty of other places to publish such things if the format of the exhibition gallery is no longer appropriate, but I believe it would be general loss to the forum.

Robin2:
It does not seem that your issue has anything to do with bumping or spamming so perhaps you could choose a more appropriate Title - for example “Locking Exhibition Gallery posts after 120 days is inconvenient”

…R

I chose that title because that was the thread I wanted to respond to, but was locked in the mean time. That was the thread where I was first made aware of this matter and wanted a confirmation if that was indeed the case. I still don’t know definitely if these threads are hard locked.

6v6gt: I still don't know definitely if these threads are hard locked.

What do you mean by "hard locked"?

pert: What do you mean by "hard locked"?

Good question. What I meant that in addition to the user simply seeing a message:

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days. Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

the user is actually prevented somehow from adding a post.