Burning bootloader doesn't work with attiny85

hi,
I'm working on a project where I use an LED to flash when a temperature sensor reaches a certain temperature. I wanted to use an ATtiny85 to keep the design as small as possible. I made a couple of codes to test the ATtiny and everything went well. The next day I used another Arduino Uno to flash the code to the ATtiny. So I went to setup everything, Uploaded the arduinoISP code, but when I wanted to burn the bootloader, I got an error:

ATtiny85 avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature. Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check. I have no idea what the problem can be here.

I double checked the connections, I had connection from every pin to the ATtiny, I put a capacitor between ground and the reset pin, I selected the right board in the IDE, the right clock frequency, I selected the arduino as ISP. Does anyone know what I can do to let it work again?

For project development using ATtiny85, I prefer to use the following Digispark Attiny85 Dev Board (Fig-1) which helps to keep aside the wiring-mess using Arduino as ISP Programmer and the issues with fuse bits and signature bytes.

Figure-1:

Next, you may use an AVR Programmer or Arduino as ISP Programmer to store the sketch into an ATtiny85 chip.

Thank you for the suggestion. It would be worth the couple of bucks the thing costs. What IDE do you use with that dev board. Just the Arduino IDE or something different?

The usual Arduino IDE Interface is used to program the ATtiny85 of the Board.

To what pin on your Arduino Uno have you connected the reset pin of the Attiny85?

Several ways to program the Attiny85...the below link is one.
One can use the IDE and a usbasp programmer and program without bootloader to gain some space if required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmDBvgrYGZs

I used pin 10 on the Arduino to connect to the reset pin on the ATtiny

Hi @funniels. I'm going to ask you to post the full verbose output from a "Burn Bootloader" operation.

:exclamation: This procedure is not intended to solve the problem. The purpose is to gather more information.

Please do this:

1. Select File > Preferences... (or Arduino IDE > Settings... for macOS users) from the Arduino IDE menus.
    The "Preferences" dialog will open.
  2. Check the box next to Show verbose output during: ☐ upload in the "Preferences" dialog.
    This preference applies to "Burn Bootloader" operations in addition to uploads.
  3. Click the "OK" button.
    The "Preferences" dialog will close.
  4. Attempt a "Burn Bootloader" operation, just the same as you did before.
  5. Wait for the "Burn Bootloader" operation to fail.
  6. You will see a "Error while burning the bootloader: ..." notification at the bottom right corner of the Arduino IDE window. Click the "COPY ERROR MESSAGES" button in that notification.
  7. Open a forum reply here by clicking the "Reply" button.
  8. Click the <CODE/> icon on the post composer toolbar.
    This will add the forum's code block markup (```) to your reply to make sure the error messages are correctly formatted.
    Code tags icon on toolbar
  9. Press the Ctrl+V keyboard shortcut (Command+V for macOS users).
    This will paste the error output from the upload into the code block.
  10. Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.
  11. Click the "Reply" button to post the output.

That seems OK.

I am curious to know if the reply of the post #8 has been genertad by auto responder!

No, there is no autoresponder here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.