Can computer virus cause problems with arduino?

For the past week I noticed my computer cutting off randomly and suddenly, and sometimes it would say it was trying to update itself where I would loose full control. This was happening two or three times a day. Then the day before yesterday after the update thing that was happening "frequently"the problems stopped. However I noticed Ghostery “a malware/tracker blocker” was disabled for some reason and I can’t figure out how to get it re-enabled. “See Attachment”.

Today I noticed a bunch of error messages in my sketch when i try to load it. The sketch was working perfectly before the update, and i’ve never seen these kinds of error messages before. I tried a few previous loaded sketches and noticed the same issue.

Binary sketch size: 104,218 bytes (of a 258,048 byte maximum)
Exception in thread "Thread-598" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class gnu.io.RXTXPort
	at gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver.getCommPort(RXTXCommDriver.java:808)
	at gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier.open(CommPortIdentifier.java:343)
	at processing.app.Serial.<init>(Serial.java:160)
	at processing.app.Serial.<init>(Serial.java:77)
	at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:77)
	at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:175)
	at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:67)
	at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1666)
	at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1622)
	at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1594)
	at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2382)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Could this be a virus or has anyone seen these error messages before?
Thomas

Virus CAN"T cause problems with Arduino but it can cause problems with IDE files - and thats what is happening. Firs - remove this "wirus" from your PC. Then reinstal Arduino IDE.

Some newb with the screen name thearduinonoob sent me a private message. (Posted below) Apparently this is happening to a few people.

Arduino Problem
« Sent to: Thomas499 on: May 07, 2015, 11:20 pm »

Hey man, Im a complete noob and I also get the errorcode you posted

Exception in thread “Thread-102” java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class gnu.io.RXTXPort
at gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver.getCommPort(RXTXCommDriver.java:808)
at gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier.open(CommPortIdentifier.java:343)
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:160)
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:77)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:175)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:67)

do you know how you fixed it?

You mentioned that it might be arduino interfering with a virus, does that mean I might have a virus?

I took my computer to a few computer experts. They ran several different virus scanning programs. A few minor issues were found, but nothing major. The problem was not fixed. They told me it was likely a day one exploit that targeted something called “associations file” and a few other things. The way the described it, the associations file is the master control file that tells every file that ends with an extension which extension it was.

No solutions available to me were able to remove the virus. I backed up my files, and am in the process of making sure I have everything I need saved before I give them the go ahead to do a complete factory reset.

The virus starts out disabling a few of the anti malware programs, then messes with programs like arduino, and music programs.

I doubt the arduino problem is related to any virus.

You may have a virus or other issues (based on your OP, I’d say it’s definitely time to wipe and reinstall windows), but I don’t think that’s the problem at hand here. Not that reinstalling windows won’t solve it - it very well may - but I don’t think it’s directly caused by malware.

They told me it was likely a day one exploit that targeted something called “associations file” and a few other things. The way the described it, the associations file is the master control file that tells every file that ends with an extension which extension it was.

The arduino problem definitely has nothing to do with file association. I think they were trotting out default answers when they ran out of ideas.

The arduino problem definitely has nothing to do with file association. I think they were trotting out default answers when they ran out of ideas.

I won’t be using them to fix computer problems from now on. It did disable my anti-malware programs, and made it impossible to install Norton, and AVG. (So they said) and I do know for a fact that the Microsoft wav (song player) wouldn’t open, this problem was first noticed a few hours after I noticed the arduino program stopped working and wouldn’t let me compile.

I am now in the process of making sure the files I need are saved. I’m getting these errors. I am on a loner computer that using windows 7.0 rather than the awful 8.1 that I previously had. Do I need to address this in my programming anywhere?

This report would have more information with
  "Show verbose output during compilation"
  enabled in File > Preferences.
Arduino: 1.0.6 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Mega 2560 or Mega ADK"
Binary sketch size: 111,018 bytes (of a 258,048 byte maximum)

processing.app.SerialException: Serial port 'COM4' already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it.

at processing.app.Serial.<init>(Serial.java:171)

at processing.app.Serial.<init>(Serial.java:77)

processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Serial port 'COM4' already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it.

at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:101)

When did they move the code button? That’s new.