can I connect a IP camera using NodeMCU?

I have an old IP camera with only ethernet(cable RJ45) connection

so I thought maybe I can "upgrade" it to a wireless one using a NodeMCU

is there any way to do this?

Thanks ,

Why not just use something like this?

Fast Ethernet Port
Connect a wired device like a Blu-ray player, game console, TV or streaming player to your WiFi network.

I know this product ...
it's a good solution

I just thought maybe I can do this using the nNodeMCU

as a nice project

david1234:
I just thought maybe I can do this using the NodeMCU

as a nice project

So what makes you think that a NodeMCU in any way whatsoever resembles the device above? :astonished:

You might just as well ask if a NodeMCU can be used to make your toast. :grinning:

maybne add another device that "change" ethernet port data to i2c ot serial

again - I'm just asking and thinking

"it can't be done" - is also a good answer :slight_smile:

Thanks,

david1234:
maybe add another device that "change" Ethernet port data to i2c or serial

Hmmm. Would that be 10 Mb or 100 Mb Ethernet? Or Gigabit?

100Mb is good for the camera I think
but if you think it's going to be a problem , I can start with 10M (just for the test - to see it's working)

The answer was - in its entirety - given in reply #1.

You may sit the NodeMCU on top of it if it makes you feel good, but it will not be connected in any way. :grinning:

david1234:
100Mb is good for the camera I think
but if you think it's going to be a problem , I can start with 10M (just for the test - to see it's working)

Paul__B is joking with you. I2C speeds are a tiny fraction of even 10M, at least those I2C speeds that can be used with Arduino or ESP. I2C speeds commonly used with Arduino are 100KHz (1% of 10M) and 400KHz (4% of 10M).

It might be possible, in theory, to attach an Ethernet shield to an ESP and program it to act as a wireless access point. But it would never be a very good one, with a poor throughput speed. And it would require deep knowledge of networking principles and amazing coding skills to even make it work at all. In summary, life is too short and there are more interesting esp projects to spend time on. Get an off the shelf wireless adaptor.

OK
This is what I wanted to know

I thought maybe there is a way - but as you explain , there is not

Thank you