Can I manipulate data inside a Python IDE or Xcode?

Reading some of the other posts in this section I see several ideas on what programs to use to graph and/or manipulate data inside another IDE that offers more functionality than the Arduino IDE. There is even an example in using MatLab. I would like to take data that I'm sampling from a simple sensor circuit and manipulate it inside XCODE which is a C based language. However, I've been told that using a Python IDE may be easier.

Some examples of functionality i would like to achieve are outputting data results in a graph format, running algorithms and doing analog and/or digital writes to my system. I would like to hear any recommendations on what IDE I should consider using to achieve this and if XCODE is even worth looking in to. I'm using a Macbook pro which is why I would need something that is compatible with my system.

If XCode has a good serial communications library (probably does) then you are good to go. Learn how to pass data back and forth over serial and you should have no problem in any programming language.

What would I recommend? LAZARUS!
Fully cross-platform. Runs very well on OSx, I understand. It is the only language, other than C, that is a full-blown compiler which produces stand-alone binaries.

All that is required is to install the TLazSerial library/components into the IDE and you have all you need to work with Arduino.