Can I use the R4 minima as an icsp?

I picked up an R4 Uno Minima for the main purpose of programming ATTiny85s for guitar pedal bypass relays. It seems to take the ArduinoICSP sketch fine, but then fails when uploading the other sketch for the ATTiny. There's definitely a possibility I'm doing something wrong as I'm new to these things, but have used older models for the same purpose previously. I just got to thinking maybe these don't function that way?

Under tools you need to set the programmer as Arduino as ISP. When you are uploading to the ATtiny85 you will need to select the board as ATtiny25/45/85 and then the clock - internal or external and frequency. Once you have setup the board then you need to burn the bootloader and then you can compile and upload your sketch via the upload via programmer option.

I'm still not having any luck. I plug in my R4 and then upload the ArduinoISP sketch to it and get these results:

Sketch uses 58128 bytes (22%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
Global variables use 4860 bytes (14%) of dynamic memory, leaving 27908 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 32768 bytes.
dfu-util 0.11-arduino4

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2021 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to http://sourceforge.net/p/dfu-util/tickets/

Opening DFU capable USB device...
Device ID 2341:0069
Run-Time device DFU version 0101
Claiming USB DFU (Run-Time) Interface...
Setting Alternate Interface zero...
Determining device status...
DFU state(0) = appIDLE, status(0) = No error condition is present
Device really in Run-Time Mode, send DFU detach request...
Device will detach and reattach...
Opening DFU USB Device...
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Interface #0 ...
Determining device status...
DFU state(2) = dfuIDLE, status(0) = No error condition is present
DFU mode device DFU version 0101
Device returned transfer size 64
Copying data from PC to DFU device
Download	[=========================] 100%        58136 bytes
Download done.
DFU state(7) = dfuMANIFEST, status(0) = No error condition is present
DFU state(2) = dfuIDLE, status(0) = No error condition is present
Done!

Then I switch my board over to ATTiny85, and select the programmer as "Arduino as ISP" and then try to upload the sketch which results in:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03

10 times before failing. I also get the same result if I select Burn Bootloader.

Hi @sgtrutters. I know it has been a long time but I found this topic while I was doing some research on using the UNO R4 Minima and UNO R4 WiFi boards as "Arduino as ISP" programmers and thought I should share my findings here in case you are still interested, and for the benefit of others who might find this forum topic while researching the subject.

I discovered the error you experienced was caused by a bug in the "ArduinoISP" sketch. I have fixed the bug:

The fixed version of the example will be in the next release of Arduino IDE. You can download it now here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/arduino/arduino-examples/1.10.1/examples/11.ArduinoISP/ArduinoISP/ArduinoISP.ino

Another thing to note is that you must select Tools > Programmer > Arduino as ISP (ATmega32U4) instead of Tools > Programmer > Arduino as ISP from the Arduino IDE menus when using an UNO R4 Minima or UNO R4 WiFi board as an "Arduino as ISP" programmer.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for fixing this! I was just about to try to program my first ATtiny85. :slight_smile:

I've installed the attiny by David A. Mellis package and now can select the ATtiny85 and set the programmer to Arduino as ISO (ATmega32U4).

A question though. I use IDE 2.2.1 with my R4 Minima.
Is the pin-layout the same as the Uno? (11, 12, 13)
(and a resistor/led on 7, 8, 9)

p.s. If interested, I need to use the ATtiny85 because my NeoPixel Stick (still) doesn't support the 'new' chip in the R4 series. :confused:

Maybe consider using the FastLED library instead which has been updated to work with the Uno R4 boards

Hi and thanks.
I tried, but it gave an compile error. After searching they said it was still not supported.

Also, on their own github it's still an open issue. Link

The page you linked to dates from May

Take a look at this page GitHub - arduino/uno-r4-library-compatibility

Please post the sketch that caused errors with the Uno R4 and details of the version of FastLED that you used

You are welcome. I'm glad if the fix will be useful to some people. I think it is pretty cool to have the ability to so easily make a DIY ISP programmer and like to see as many boards as possible be supported for use as an "Arduino as ISP".

That is correct.

You can also make connections to the 2x3 ICSP header on the UNO R4 Minima instead of the normal pin headers, just the same as on the UNO R3 and similar boards, if you find that to be convenient.

Hi UKHB,

Thanks. I get this error: (note that I shorted the filepath)

\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src/led_sysdefs.h:61:2: error: #error "This platform isn't recognized by FastLED... yet. See comments in FastLED/led_sysdefs.h for options."
#error "This platform isn't recognized by FastLED... yet. See comments in FastLED/led_sysdefs.h for options."
^~~~~

exit status 1

Compilation error: exit status 1

What sketch were you compiling and what version of FastLED do you have installed ?

Thanks!

I really think this\your work is used at lot more then you even think!

1 Like

Oh yeah, that's true.

Version 3.6.0 (by Daniel Garcia). The link linked to the same Github so I guess this should be the right version.
The code on the github page, with only the nr of LEDs set to 8.

#include <FastLED.h>
#define NUM_LEDS 8

CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];

void setup() {
FastLED.addLeds<NEOPIXEL, 6>(leds, NUM_LEDS);
}

void loop() {
leds[0] = CRGB::White; FastLED.show(); delay(30);
leds[0] = CRGB::Black; FastLED.show(); delay(30);
}

Edit: I did tried using "FastLED NeoPixel Library" this afternoon as well, but this one failed on the FastLED lib you told me about.

That sketch compiles fine for me with either the Uno R4 WiFi or Uno R4 Minima as the target and version 3.6.0 of the FastLED library by Daniel Garcia installed

I am using version 2.2.1 of the IDE but the IDE version should make no difference

In led_sysdefs.h there is a specific reference to the Renesas processor versions of the Uno

#elif defined(ARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS) || defined(ARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS_UNO) || defined(ARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS_PORTENTA)
#include "platforms/arm/renesas/led_sysdef_arm_renesas.h"

Which board have you got set as the target in the IDE ?

Arduino UNO R4 Minima

Here are parts of the output when I compile the code for the R4 Minima. Truncated output due to the limit on the size of data that can be posted

FQBN: arduino:renesas_uno:minima
Using board 'minima' from platform in folder: C:\Users\Bob2\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5
Using core 'arduino' from platform in folder: C:\Users\Bob2\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5

Detecting libraries used...
C:\Users\Bob2\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -w -Os -g3 -fno-use-cxa-atexit -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -nostdlib -DF_CPU=48000000 -DARDUINO_UNOR4_MINIMA -std=gnu++17 -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -fsigned-char -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fmessage-length=0 -fno-builtin -w -x c++ -E -CC -DARDUINO=10607 -DPROJECT_NAME="C:\Users\Bob2\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino\sketches\254D00C961FCA39D887202A8BA930CE4/sketch_dec30b.ino" -DARDUINO_MINIMA -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS -DARDUINO_FSP -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=700 -mthumb @C:\Users\Bob2\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/defines.txt -DCFG_TUSB_MCU=OPT_MCU_RAXXX -IC:\Users\Bob2\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/tinyusb -IC:\Users\Bob2\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated -IC:\Users\Bob2\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated-avr-comp -IC:\Users\Bob2\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino -IC:\Users\Bob2\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA -iprefixC:\Users\Bob2\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5 @C:\Users\Bob2\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/includes.txt C:\Users\Bob2\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino\sketches\254D00C961FCA39D887202A8BA930CE4\sketch\sketch_dec30b.ino.cpp -o nul
Alternatives for FastLED.h: [FastLED@3.6.0]
ResolveLibrary(FastLED.h)
  -> candidates: [FastLED@3.6.0]
Using library FastLED at version 3.6.0 in folder: 

C:\Users\Bob2\Documents\Arduino\libraries\FastLED 
"C:\\Users\\Bob2\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\arduino\\tools\\arm-none-eabi-gcc\\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-size" -A "C:\\Users\\Bob2\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino\\sketches\\254D00C961FCA39D887202A8BA930CE4/sketch_dec30b.ino.elf"
Sketch uses 55644 bytes (21%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
Global variables use 4660 bytes (14%) of dynamic memory, leaving 28108 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 32768 bytes.

Please turn on verbose output for compiling and post the output that you get

What version of the IDE are you using ?
What version of the R4 boards files are you using ? Mine is 1.0.5

IDE is 2.2.1
Hmm as for the R4 board version, where can I find this?

Verbose output:

FQBN: arduino:renesas_uno:minima
Using board 'minima' from platform in folder: {path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5
Using core 'arduino' from platform in folder: {path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5

Detecting libraries used...
{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -w -Os -g3 -fno-use-cxa-atexit -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -nostdlib -DF_CPU=48000000 -DARDUINO_UNOR4_MINIMA -std=gnu++17 -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -fsigned-char -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fmessage-length=0 -fno-builtin -w -x c++ -E -CC -DARDUINO=10607 -DPROJECT_NAME="{path to user folder}\Temp\arduino\sketches\77D9BFBEE85E072B09FEABE723F9C70F/NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino" -DARDUINO_MINIMA -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS -DARDUINO_FSP -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=700 -mthumb @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/defines.txt -DCFG_TUSB_MCU=OPT_MCU_RAXXX -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/tinyusb -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated-avr-comp -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA -iprefix{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5 @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/includes.txt {path to user folder}\Temp\arduino\sketches\77D9BFBEE85E072B09FEABE723F9C70F\sketch\NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino.cpp -o nul
Alternatives for FastLED.h: [FastLED@3.6.0]
ResolveLibrary(FastLED.h)
-> candidates: [FastLED@3.6.0]
{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -w -Os -g3 -fno-use-cxa-atexit -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -nostdlib -DF_CPU=48000000 -DARDUINO_UNOR4_MINIMA -std=gnu++17 -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -fsigned-char -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fmessage-length=0 -fno-builtin -w -x c++ -E -CC -DARDUINO=10607 -DPROJECT_NAME="{path to user folder}\Temp\arduino\sketches\77D9BFBEE85E072B09FEABE723F9C70F/NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino" -DARDUINO_MINIMA -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS -DARDUINO_FSP -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=700 -mthumb @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/defines.txt -DCFG_TUSB_MCU=OPT_MCU_RAXXX -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/tinyusb -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated-avr-comp -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA -I{path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src -iprefix{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5 @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/includes.txt {path to user folder}\Temp\arduino\sketches\77D9BFBEE85E072B09FEABE723F9C70F\sketch\NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino.cpp -o nul
Error while detecting libraries included by {path to user folder}\Temp\arduino\sketches\77D9BFBEE85E072B09FEABE723F9C70F\sketch\NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino.cpp
{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -w -Os -g3 -fno-use-cxa-atexit -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -nostdlib -DF_CPU=48000000 -DARDUINO_UNOR4_MINIMA -std=gnu++17 -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -fsigned-char -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fmessage-length=0 -fno-builtin -w -x c++ -E -CC -DARDUINO=10607 -DPROJECT_NAME="{path to user folder}\Temp\arduino\sketches\77D9BFBEE85E072B09FEABE723F9C70F/NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino" -DARDUINO_MINIMA -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS -DARDUINO_FSP -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=700 -mthumb @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/defines.txt -DCFG_TUSB_MCU=OPT_MCU_RAXXX -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/tinyusb -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated-avr-comp -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA -I{path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src -iprefix{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5 @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/includes.txt {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\FastLED.cpp -o nul
Error while detecting libraries included by {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\FastLED.cpp
{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -w -Os -g3 -fno-use-cxa-atexit -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -nostdlib -DF_CPU=48000000 -DARDUINO_UNOR4_MINIMA -std=gnu++17 -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -fsigned-char -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fmessage-length=0 -fno-builtin -w -x c++ -E -CC -DARDUINO=10607 -DPROJECT_NAME="{path to user folder}\Temp\arduino\sketches\77D9BFBEE85E072B09FEABE723F9C70F/NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino" -DARDUINO_MINIMA -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS -DARDUINO_FSP -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=700 -mthumb @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/defines.txt -DCFG_TUSB_MCU=OPT_MCU_RAXXX -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/tinyusb -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated-avr-comp -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA -I{path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src -iprefix{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5 @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/includes.txt {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\bitswap.cpp -o nul
Error while detecting libraries included by {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\bitswap.cpp
{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -w -Os -g3 -fno-use-cxa-atexit -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -nostdlib -DF_CPU=48000000 -DARDUINO_UNOR4_MINIMA -std=gnu++17 -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -fsigned-char -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fmessage-length=0 -fno-builtin -w -x c++ -E -CC -DARDUINO=10607 -DPROJECT_NAME="{path to user folder}\Temp\arduino\sketches\77D9BFBEE85E072B09FEABE723F9C70F/NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino" -DARDUINO_MINIMA -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS -DARDUINO_FSP -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=700 -mthumb @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/defines.txt -DCFG_TUSB_MCU=OPT_MCU_RAXXX -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/tinyusb -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated-avr-comp -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA -I{path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src -iprefix{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5 @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/includes.txt {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\colorpalettes.cpp -o nul
Error while detecting libraries included by {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\colorpalettes.cpp
{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -w -Os -g3 -fno-use-cxa-atexit -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -nostdlib -DF_CPU=48000000 -DARDUINO_UNOR4_MINIMA -std=gnu++17 -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -fsigned-char -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fmessage-length=0 -fno-builtin -w -x c++ -E -CC -DARDUINO=10607 -DPROJECT_NAME="{path to user folder}\Temp\arduino\sketches\77D9BFBEE85E072B09FEABE723F9C70F/NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino" -DARDUINO_MINIMA -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS -DARDUINO_FSP -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=700 -mthumb @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/defines.txt -DCFG_TUSB_MCU=OPT_MCU_RAXXX -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/tinyusb -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated-avr-comp -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA -I{path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src -iprefix{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5 @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/includes.txt {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\colorutils.cpp -o nul
Error while detecting libraries included by {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\colorutils.cpp
{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -w -Os -g3 -fno-use-cxa-atexit -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -nostdlib -DF_CPU=48000000 -DARDUINO_UNOR4_MINIMA -std=gnu++17 -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -fsigned-char -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fmessage-length=0 -fno-builtin -w -x c++ -E -CC -DARDUINO=10607 -DPROJECT_NAME="{path to user folder}\Temp\arduino\sketches\77D9BFBEE85E072B09FEABE723F9C70F/NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino" -DARDUINO_MINIMA -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS -DARDUINO_FSP -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=700 -mthumb @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/defines.txt -DCFG_TUSB_MCU=OPT_MCU_RAXXX -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/tinyusb -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated-avr-comp -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA -I{path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src -iprefix{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5 @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/includes.txt {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\hsv2rgb.cpp -o nul
Error while detecting libraries included by {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\hsv2rgb.cpp
{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -w -Os -g3 -fno-use-cxa-atexit -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -nostdlib -DF_CPU=48000000 -DARDUINO_UNOR4_MINIMA -std=gnu++17 -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -fsigned-char -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fmessage-length=0 -fno-builtin -w -x c++ -E -CC -DARDUINO=10607 -DPROJECT_NAME="{path to user folder}\Temp\arduino\sketches\77D9BFBEE85E072B09FEABE723F9C70F/NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino" -DARDUINO_MINIMA -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS -DARDUINO_FSP -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=700 -mthumb @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/defines.txt -DCFG_TUSB_MCU=OPT_MCU_RAXXX -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/tinyusb -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated-avr-comp -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA -I{path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src -iprefix{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5 @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/includes.txt {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\lib8tion.cpp -o nul
Error while detecting libraries included by {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\lib8tion.cpp
{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -w -Os -g3 -fno-use-cxa-atexit -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -nostdlib -DF_CPU=48000000 -DARDUINO_UNOR4_MINIMA -std=gnu++17 -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -fsigned-char -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fmessage-length=0 -fno-builtin -w -x c++ -E -CC -DARDUINO=10607 -DPROJECT_NAME="{path to user folder}\Temp\arduino\sketches\77D9BFBEE85E072B09FEABE723F9C70F/NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino" -DARDUINO_MINIMA -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS -DARDUINO_FSP -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=700 -mthumb @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/defines.txt -DCFG_TUSB_MCU=OPT_MCU_RAXXX -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/tinyusb -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated-avr-comp -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA -I{path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src -iprefix{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5 @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/includes.txt {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\noise.cpp -o nul
Error while detecting libraries included by {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\noise.cpp
{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -w -Os -g3 -fno-use-cxa-atexit -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -nostdlib -DF_CPU=48000000 -DARDUINO_UNOR4_MINIMA -std=gnu++17 -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -fsigned-char -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fmessage-length=0 -fno-builtin -w -x c++ -E -CC -DARDUINO=10607 -DPROJECT_NAME="{path to user folder}\Temp\arduino\sketches\77D9BFBEE85E072B09FEABE723F9C70F/NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino" -DARDUINO_MINIMA -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS -DARDUINO_FSP -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=700 -mthumb @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/defines.txt -DCFG_TUSB_MCU=OPT_MCU_RAXXX -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/tinyusb -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated-avr-comp -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA -I{path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src -iprefix{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5 @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/includes.txt {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\platforms\esp\32\clockless_rmt_esp32.cpp -o nul
{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -w -Os -g3 -fno-use-cxa-atexit -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -nostdlib -DF_CPU=48000000 -DARDUINO_UNOR4_MINIMA -std=gnu++17 -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -fsigned-char -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fmessage-length=0 -fno-builtin -w -x c++ -E -CC -DARDUINO=10607 -DPROJECT_NAME="{path to user folder}\Temp\arduino\sketches\77D9BFBEE85E072B09FEABE723F9C70F/NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino" -DARDUINO_MINIMA -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS -DARDUINO_FSP -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=700 -mthumb @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/defines.txt -DCFG_TUSB_MCU=OPT_MCU_RAXXX -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/tinyusb -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated-avr-comp -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA -I{path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src -iprefix{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5 @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/includes.txt {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\platforms.cpp -o nul
{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -w -Os -g3 -fno-use-cxa-atexit -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -nostdlib -DF_CPU=48000000 -DARDUINO_UNOR4_MINIMA -std=gnu++17 -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -fsigned-char -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fmessage-length=0 -fno-builtin -w -x c++ -E -CC -DARDUINO=10607 -DPROJECT_NAME="{path to user folder}\Temp\arduino\sketches\77D9BFBEE85E072B09FEABE723F9C70F/NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino" -DARDUINO_MINIMA -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS -DARDUINO_FSP -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=700 -mthumb @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/defines.txt -DCFG_TUSB_MCU=OPT_MCU_RAXXX -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/tinyusb -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated-avr-comp -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA -I{path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src -iprefix{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5 @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/includes.txt {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\power_mgt.cpp -o nul
Error while detecting libraries included by {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\power_mgt.cpp
{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -w -Os -g3 -fno-use-cxa-atexit -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -nostdlib -DF_CPU=48000000 -DARDUINO_UNOR4_MINIMA -std=gnu++17 -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -fsigned-char -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fmessage-length=0 -fno-builtin -w -x c++ -E -CC -DARDUINO=10607 -DPROJECT_NAME="{path to user folder}\Temp\arduino\sketches\77D9BFBEE85E072B09FEABE723F9C70F/NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino" -DARDUINO_MINIMA -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS -DARDUINO_FSP -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=700 -mthumb @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/defines.txt -DCFG_TUSB_MCU=OPT_MCU_RAXXX -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/tinyusb -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated-avr-comp -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA -I{path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src -iprefix{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5 @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/includes.txt {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\wiring.cpp -o nul
Error while detecting libraries included by {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src\wiring.cpp
Generating function prototypes...
{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\7-2017q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -w -Os -g3 -fno-use-cxa-atexit -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -nostdlib -DF_CPU=48000000 -DARDUINO_UNOR4_MINIMA -std=gnu++17 -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -fsigned-char -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fmessage-length=0 -fno-builtin -w -x c++ -E -CC -DARDUINO=10607 -DPROJECT_NAME="{path to user folder}\Temp\arduino\sketches\77D9BFBEE85E072B09FEABE723F9C70F/NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino" -DARDUINO_MINIMA -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_RENESAS -DARDUINO_FSP -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=700 -mthumb @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/defines.txt -DCFG_TUSB_MCU=OPT_MCU_RAXXX -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/tinyusb -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino/api/deprecated-avr-comp -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\cores\arduino -I{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA -I{path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src -iprefix{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5 @{path to user folder}\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\renesas_uno\1.0.5\variants\MINIMA/includes.txt {path to user folder}\Temp\arduino\sketches\77D9BFBEE85E072B09FEABE723F9C70F\sketch\NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino.cpp -o {path to user folder}\Temp\1907060808\sketch_merged.cpp
In file included from {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src/FastLED.h:51:0,
from {path to user folder}\Arduino15\RemoteSketchbook\ArduinoCloud\1eb06909-cafe-47da-bee7-79d7cb2727ae\NeoPixel_FastLED_Test\NeoPixel_FastLED_Test.ino:1:
{path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED\src/led_sysdefs.h:61:2: error: #error "This platform isn't recognized by FastLED... yet. See comments in FastLED/led_sysdefs.h for options."
#error "This platform isn't recognized by FastLED... yet. See comments in FastLED/led_sysdefs.h for options."
^~~~~

Using library FastLED at version 3.6.0 in folder: {path to user folder}\Documenten\Arduino\libraries\FastLED
exit status 1

Compilation error: exit status 1

I can't see anything obviously wrong

You can find the bard version number by opening the board manager in the IDE and seraching for Minima

But from your output it seems that you are using 1.0.5

As a matter of interest, does your led_sysdefs.h file have an entry for the Renesas processor ? See post #14 above

1.0.5 indeed.

No it does not! It seems you're on to something.
The Github source does have that and my file does not.

Ahhh.
The latest stable is 3.6.0 from May and that change is from July.

I am not aware of doing anything out of the ordinary in respect of my Uno R4 board installation but updating led_sysdefs.h has got to be worth a shot for you