can this communication project work?

Hi i was wondering if it is posible i can send/recieve comand via serial/monitor to standalone arduno (only atmega chip) using this type of communication

USB-FTDI-RS488CHIP-........(this is a long cable).....-RS488CHIP-ATMEGA328_RX_TX_PINS

if it is posible. can i just send/recieve bytes or i can program it too?

well i found this KMtronic Ltd: USB to RS485 FTDI interface adapter

this can replace "USB-FTDI-RS488CHIP". but questions still exists

You can attach that device to your PC's USB port. It will convert data written to the serial port to a form that can be sent over some wires to another such device. That device can not be directly connected to an Arduino, though.

The Arduino is a USB slave, as is that device. Only USB Masters (aka Hosts) can talk to USB slaves.

There is USB Host shield available for the Arduino, but programming it is not trivial.

Even if you are successful, you could not use that link as a way to program the Arduino.

That device can not be directly connected to an Arduino, though

why? i am talking for standalone arduino.

if you see that there is an SparkFun FT232 USB that with only RX/TX pins it communicate with atmega328.
why an RS485 bettwen them cant send data?

That device can not be directly connected to an Arduino, though

why? i am talking for standalone arduino.

A standalone what?

What you are making needs some kind of USB to serial converter. The device you linked to is not a USB to serial converter. It is a USB to RS485/RS485 to USB converter. The USB output could be fed to a USB to serial converter which connects to the RX/TX pins on the ATMega328.