Can't choose serial port in Linux Mint 10

Hey gang,

Got the 0022 version of arduino extracted to my home folder, loads up fine but the serial port is grayed out and as such I can't select my Uno board. I'm pretty new to Linux and am unsure how to correct this.

Could someone preferably give me a simple way to do this?

I've searched already but some stuff went over my head. :stuck_out_tongue:

Does the Arduino show up as a device in /dev? I think you can tell by running dmesg shortly after plugging in the board. What device is it? Which version of the Arduino software did you install? The one on the website should look for /dev/ttyUSB* and /dev/ttyACM* devices, but if you're using a version of the RXTX serial library provided by your distribution (not the one included with Arduino), it might only look for the former. In that case, you might need to symlink from /dev/ttyACM0 (the Uno) to /dev/ttyUSB0 so the software will see it.

A lot of what you said went over my head. :stuck_out_tongue:

However, upon connecting the arduino and using dmesg, the last entry in terminal says a usb device with ttyACM0. I would assume this is it?

I downloaded the linux 32-bit 0022 version from the arduino.cc website. How exactly would I do this symlink business?

:stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Disregard my last reply, it has now started working, I can see the device in the serial port option.

Many Thanks!

:slight_smile:

Same thing, linux mint 0022 on desktop. Please post how you fixed it. Or how to do symlink. ((In that case, you might need to symlink from /dev/ttyACM0 (the Uno) to /dev/ttyUSB0 so the software will see it.)) I did the, Complete Numpties Guide to Arduino on Ubuntu also on my laptop same thing.