Can't get stepper motors moving!

Hi All I am attempting to get 3 stepper motors working for a project to make a motion control camera setup for use with Dragonframe animation software.

I ordered this kit from Amazon: Arduino UNO kit

I have a 12v 5a power supply, with a small adapter on the end like this: Connector

..to connect to the CNC shield.

I have successfully loaded the Dragonframe DFMoco image onto the Arduino and Dragonfra recognises the board as such.

My problem is in driving the motors.

I get some buzzing from a single connected stepper motor, and occasionally is will turn (one way only for some reason).

The moment I connect two or more motors there is no movement, just some buzzing.

I have tried adjusting the potentiometers on the stepper drivers to no avail.

I have a multimeter.

What I am thinking now is that the small cable adapter (above) I have between the power supply and the CNC shield is limiting the power getting to the board - is this likely/a possibility?

Many thanks for your help

Daniel

Are the pins that control the stepper drivers set up properly to match the CNC shield in the software?

That kit has high impedance stepper motors (30 ohm, 0.4A) so 12V is not enough to drive them via a chopper driver (which require supply to be substantially higher than the IR product of the motor).

You should have low-impedance motors for such a driver ideally, but it will work if you go to 24V supply, then the drivers will have enough overhead to get working properly.

[ 24V is pretty standard for Repraps etc, not 12V ]

oh that I don't know.

Although this is quite a commonly used setup and the software is provided by Dragonframe themselves, so I assume that it is all set up correctly. I will paste the code in the next message.

I'm trying to do something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkBLOFtyFqY

Many thanks again

I don't imagine the connector is the problem. I am using something similar for my 3 stepper motors that each need about 350mA per coil.

It may be worth testing each driver-motor separately with test code as in this Simple Stepper Code

As @groundFungus says it is important to match the software to the pins used by the hardware.

Be VERY careful not to disconnect any of the motor wires (however briefly) while the stepper driver is powered. The driver will probably be destroyed.

...R Stepper Motor Basics

@Mark T, would you mind giving me your advice on what would be the best stepper drivers and motors to add to this kit please? Ideally I would like to keep the same 12v/5a power supply as this was the most expensive part of the kit so far.

Sorry to ask for handholding. I'm an animator and not an electronics expert! This was meant to be a simple project - at least that's what the Youtube videos I found made me believe!

Many thanks Daniel

MarkT: That kit has high impedance stepper motors (30 ohm, 0.4A) so 12V is not enough to drive them via a chopper driver (which require supply to be substantially higher than the IR product of the motor).

This seems to me like a counsel of perfection.

My similar stepper motors work fine with A4988 drivers and a 12v supply. However a higher voltage is better (gives a higher speed) and I normally power my motors with an 18v laptop power supply.

If you have not already bought the motors then, of course, it would make sense to buy lower impedance motors. However they usually require more amps and you need to be careful that the motor current can be comfortably supplied by the driver. An A4988 should be good for 1 amp to 1.5 amps. The DRV8825 can supply a little more. However if you choose a motor that requires, say 2 or 3 amps you will need a more expensive driver.

...R

Thank you for all the replies

I still just have the one motor that came with the kit. So I should go for something like this instead..

1.7 A Steppers Amazon

Thanks Daniel

danielroberthope: So I should go for something like this instead..

The first, and most important question, is whether those motors have enough torque for your application.

Assuming they do, I reckon you would at least need the Pololu DRV8825 stepper drivers for a 1.7 amp motor. I think they would overload an A4988 and make it cut out unpredictably.

...R