Cant paste url

Im trying to copy and paste a URL for the 3266 board from git hub.
it wont paste. When I opened up a blank paper in word, it works. when the curser is in the "Additional Board Manager position"- nothing
any ideas?? Im new to Arduino and no to computer savvy - keep it simple, please!!

That is strange. Which version of the Arduino IDE are you using? Which operating system are you using?

You might try clicking the button to the right on the Additional Boards Manager URLs field and try pasting the URL into the entry field in the dialog that pops up after that. I have no specific reason to think that will work any differently, but it's worth a try as a possible workaround.

I'm using Windows 10. It was updated last night?? As for the version of Arduino, Im not sure, I just installed it a couple of days ago. how can I tell which version I have??

I tried clicking the button to the right and entering it there, no luck. I even tried to type in the URL and when I looked for it in tools, nothing.

That said, I ran the hello world sketch with the LCD and that works fine, the esp8266, linked up and the current driver was identified as current, and device working.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Danny,

storboard:
when I looked for it in tools, nothing.

Adding the URL to the Additional Boards Manager URLs field is only the first step to installing ESP8266 support to the Arduino IDE. The other steps:

• Tools > Board > Boards Manager
  • Wait for the downloads to finish.
  • From the list of available platforms, click on "esp8266 by ESP8266 Community".
  • Click the "Install" button.
  • Wait for the installation to finish.
  • Click the "Close" button.

You should now see the ESP8266 boards in the Tools > Board menu.

Ok, I think I got it. My biggest problem is I am new to this. I did not “get where I was” in the screen I was looking at. I have down loaded several files, and kinda figured out how to get them into a file/sketch.

I was in junior high, when I took electronics in the 70’s I’ve done a lot of electrical and mechanical development, but its always been with conventional relays, timers…

I’m interested in monitoring, receiving sending SMS messages with a 8266 wifi chip. Any advice on on-line or tutoring. Not looking for a free ride, willing to pay.

Best,

storboard:
I've done a lot of electrical and mechanical development, but its always been with conventional relays, timers...

7 years ago it was the same for me. I had done all sorts of stuff with relays, solenoids, etc., comfortable putting in mains subpanels, built several electric glass annealing kilns from scratch, but didn't even know what a microcontroller was. Then I noticed these Arduino things while shopping on eBay and thought it might be something fun to play with. Within no time I was completely hooked.

storboard:
Any advice on on-line or tutoring. Not looking for a free ride, willing to pay.

We're always happy to help people learn for free here. It does require the right approach to get a good result from this forum, but there are lots of incredibly smart people with many years of professional experience who are happy to share their knowledge.

If you do want to offer paid work, we have a forum board specifically for that:

I'm back with the same problem, that Ii thought I figured out.

Im trying to copy a file for the 8266 from github to Arduino. It will not paste when I open up File- Preferences put the curser in the box and try to paste. I even tried to click the box to the right, it opens up a bigger screen, still no luck.

I tried testing the copy paste routine from github to a blank paper in "Word", and it works.

no matter what I tried, I can't figure out how to get the #%^@@ file into the Arduino . I just started with arduino, so this is new for me. I watched several youtube video's and it seem to work for them.

When I went to Google, and checked, software companies are trying to tell me its a registry issue and want to sell their software?? I don't mind paying for it, i just dont believe thats the problem.

PLEASE HELP!!

I finally found this blog again. I tried everything to paste in the preferences, Nothing. I started another blog when I did not see this one. ignore the other one of the same.

Any suggestions?? according to a google search Problem with registry?