can't upload programmes to my new arduino mega 2560

i bought an arduino mega 2560 board from simple labs chennai,india. the very first time i tried to use the board it is showing error in uploading. when i click on the upload button it will stay on for long time and after some time it will show the following error.
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

what is the problem here.please help me.
the drivers are installed correctly.the ports and boards are also selected corrrectly.what is the problem?

Maybe try different cable. The simplest test is to try connect other arduino board and check if it's working.

Try the loop back test to see if serial data actual works to and from the PC to the board.

Lefty

This is a repeat of a reply to another similar post. Hope it doesn't upset anyone, just trying to help.

I was having similar problems uploading programs.
I am using Arduino IDE 1.0.3, Windows Vista 32 sp2 on a Dell Latitude and Windows XP sp3 on a Dell Dimension, Arduino Hardware = SainSmart Mega 2560 + 1602 LCD+Keypad.
Hurdles overcome:

1. make sure usb drivers are installed properly, use device manager on the PC to monitor plugging/unplugging of device. I eventually manually installed the device drivers. Renumber the Com port assigned to the device to something away from the low numbers and avoiding any com port number for any other device you plug into your PC.
  2. if you are new to arduino, start with small programs and grow from there.
  3. incrementally make changes to your program, save, compile and upload.
  4. I have found that even though the program/sketch has successfully compiled there are some things that the bootloader or the processor doesn't like, that is when the upload fails. I have found the following steps work for recovering from an uploaded sketch that the Arduino doesn't like:
    A. unplug the Arduino Mega 2560 from the usb, eventhough the IDE is still trying to upload the sketch.
    B. wait for the IDE to message the comm failure.
    C. plug the arduino back in
    D. upload a known good sketch to the arduino.

These are a couple things I have found that the compiler passes, but the device doesn't like:

1. if ( var = value) { --- the correct syntax should be: if (var == value) {
  2. wstring = "some amount of text with 3 !!! in it"; some discussions say this is no longer an issue, or an old issue. Looks like maybe something on the device side sees that as some special escape sequence, or special value.

I hope this helps someone save a days worth of trial and error.